You are here

Good USB sound module?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Good USB sound module?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 pm

Did anybody investigate those 'Midiplus" boxes, now I have the EWI I would like a simple way of getting sounds from it. If it's going to cost much I may as well buy a EWI4000 or 5000 instead but for £60.......

I haven't given up on the Raspberry Pi but just can't find the time to set it up just now.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Wed May 22, 2019 8:36 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:...if there were any sound modules capable of USB hosting, i.e. a type A port. Such a sound module could be connected to a keyboard by USB with no need for a computer or a USB/DIN converter or anything else except a piece of cable.

Sounds like an iPad/phone.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 22, 2019 10:54 pm

Tried that with the EWI but iPad can't supply enough juice :( An OTG adapter with a means of injecting power to the device would probably solve the problem (but a powered hub and wall wart really don't do it from a portability PoV).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:16 pm

I bought the midi plus Pro version and a very brief play left me sufficiently underwhelmed to request a return immediately. Probably setting up the EWI better would improve the playability but I decided that I would be better off learning to play the EWI and then changing to a 4000/5000 when I'm ready to use it on stage so back it's going.

On the plus (just) side the voices on my battered old Casio DH100 are still audible behind the squealing and howling sounds that emanate from the speaker (it sounds like a rogue theramin on LSD) so it may not be a totally lost cause for the odd jam session if I can get it fixed.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:39 am

First of all, beware Velcro on anything that gets warm, it falls off!

Secondly, bit OT but I thought this might be useful information in several areas?

The network company I worked for did a few empty rack units of various sizes and I think some might be just the bee's leg joints for the small kit assemblages often needed?

Look up "HT Data" (Northampton).

2U Hinged Wall Bracket, Article number: 854-25015

^ One such. They also do "Rack Snaps" which insulate equipment front panels from the rack casing.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Resurrecting this zombie thread 'cos I'm back on the quest for a USB Host/sound module for the Akai EWI USB before giving in and buying a EWI 5000.

Has anybody come across anything since the last post in June) Just to save you re-reading the entire thread :-

a, I tried and rejected the MIDIPLUS box.

b, My iPad can't supply enough power for the EWI USB but the EWI can't be powered other than via USB B.

c, I have a Kenton USB Midi Host box but it means three extra boxes (Kenton, Power Pack and midi sound source) to be able to avoid using a computer?

Current thinking is either:-

1, Back to building the Raspberry Pi 3 system.

2, Make a breakout cable that can supply power to the EWI USB so I can use it with an iPad.

3, find a USB Host capable sound module.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous