You are here

'A' note tuning range

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

'A' note tuning range

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Can people with synths the have the ability to change the frequeny of A let me know what range they are able to cover?

This is disregarding key shifts and fine tuning etc.

In Yoshimi it's 1Hz to 2kHz - which is frankly quite ridiculous :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: 'A' note tuning range

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:17 pm

432 to 448 rings a bell with many of the synths I've used. As you say, aside from octave/fine tuning.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Fix it at 440 and have a 'swivel-eyed loon hippy lovechild' checkbox that changes it to 438 for those people who believe in magic cosmic numbers. :bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Yep,I agree Dave! :thumbup:

Frankly I'm surprised that seemingly intelligent folk are still claiming that tuning their guitars to something other than A440 will make their songs more uplifting :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 pm

I'd just settle for guitarists having the ability to tune their guitars by ear. I've come to distrust electronic guitars tuners like a party manifesto!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:57 pm

The Elf wrote:I'd just settle for guitarists having the ability to tune their guitars by ear.

But it does make the tuning pegs all waxy.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:35 pm

I'll settle for all the instruments in a band being in tune (and in tune with each other). :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm

I'd quite like some more peoples experiences of synth tuning.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Half a semitone makes sense - if you need more you can combine it with the transpose feature.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby wireman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Yep,I agree Dave! :thumbup:

Frankly I'm surprised that seemingly intelligent folk are still claiming that tuning their guitars to something other than A440 will make their songs more uplifting :headbang:

Er., makes sense to me. Presumably playing open chords on a tuned up acoustic is going to sound better than the equivalent bar chords with normal tuning.
(Writing this decades after strumming a guitar at school though...)
wireman
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm

But then you'd still be tuning to A440*; tuning up/down will just shift the fret position required to achieve the same note(s) - e.g. if you tune down a semitone, the A on the second lowest string is still 440*Hz, it's just played at the 1st fret rather than on the open string.

@Mr F - just checked ye old Yammie EX7; it's giving a master tuning range of -102.4 to + 102.3 cents, so a smidge over a semitone in either direction, or very roughly about 415-466Hz for A.

*excepting those who've seen the light of 432Hz and are in sync with the natural resonances of the human subconscious :mrgreen:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 am

James Perrett wrote:Half a semitone makes sense - if you need more you can combine it with the transpose feature.

Yep. Up or down one semitone (+/- 100 cents each way) is the sensible tuning range for the reason James says, so 415-467Hz with 440Hz as the standard pitch, and some of my instruments do provide this exact tuning range.

But others offer less tuning capability, typically being +/-50 cents, so typically from about 427-452Hz.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am

Martin

This is happening in classical music and it's a cheap way of trying to make the standard repertoire more exciting. Boehm system woodwind instruments are perfected at 440 and now the pitch is on the way up, particularly in Continental Europe. It also puts extra strain on the old violins. It's all hogwash because early music groups play at the original pitch which is about a semitone lower; as do the the authentic Classical period groups that play about half a semitone lower. Blues guitarists sometimes tuned the guitar to Eb, as do some heavy metal groups.

Postby MarkOne » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am

On the topic of synth tuning. The fine tune knob on my Moog Sub37 is +/- one semitone
On the Roland Gaia it also does a +/- 50 cent detune (But that's VA so I guess it doesn't count)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks everyone. There seems to be a general consensus here (and elsewhere), so I'll think about taming the unruly Yoshimi a bit :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:

Martin

This is happening in classical music and it's a cheap way of trying to make the standard repertoire more exciting. Boehm system woodwind instruments are perfected at 440 and now the pitch is on the way up, particularly in Continental Europe. It also puts extra strain on the old violins. It's all hogwash because early music groups play at the original pitch which is about a semitone lower; as do the the authentic Classical period groups that play about half a semitone lower. Blues guitarists sometimes tuned the guitar to Eb, as do some heavy metal groups.

Agreed - but for those who haven't yet stumbled across examples of this 'hogwash', here's a relevant link ;)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... ard-tuning

Here's an example of what's on offer:

"Single tones and groups of tones that are less than a quarter of a tone different in pitch prove to have a very different effect on human beings and the difference is such that the one causes a feeling of spite, the other good will."

Enjoy!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby wireman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Logarhythm wrote:But then you'd still be tuning to A440*; tuning up/down will just shift the fret position required to achieve the same note(s) - e.g. if you tune down a semitone, the A on the second lowest string is still 440*Hz, it's just played at the 1st fret rather than on the open string.
:

If you were replying to me then you missed the point. For many, Bar/Barre chords sound dull and are hard to play, try it on a 12 string. An open chord sounds brighter.
wireman
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Oh yes, I definitely agree that open chords can sound brighter, particularly if you have my mediocre level of skills with a guitar ;)
I'd guess this is more to do with damping from imperfect fingering affecting higher harmonics though?
My point within the context of the thread was that irrespective of how you've tuned the guitar in term of the position on the fretboard at which you play a given note, the frequency will still generally be the same, so A440 is A440 whether played to an open tuning or not.
Going down the A428 or A432 or whatever magical voodoo route is a different kettle of worms :mrgreen:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby wireman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Logarhythm wrote:My point within the context of the thread was that irrespective of how you've tuned the guitar in term of the position on the fretboard at which you play a given note, the frequency will still generally be the same, so A440 is A440 whether played to an open tuning or not.
Going down the A428 or A432 or whatever magical voodoo route is a different kettle of worms :mrgreen:

Yes, sure.
wireman
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 pm

but, but...
A=432 was originally derived from C = 256 (well, nearly), which everyone knows is a natural division of the second.

Wassat you say? The second is not a natural number... a human construct... Shirley knot
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Next