You are here

Kurzweil KP 110 are they Kurzweil sounds

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Kurzweil KP 110 are they Kurzweil sounds

Postby mort77 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Or just gm sounds 1-128?

Can’t get a straight answer out of anyone

Thanx
mort77
Poster

Re: Kurzweil KP 110 are they Kurzweil sounds

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:07 pm

mort77 wrote:Or just gm sounds 1-128?

Can’t get a straight answer out of anyone

Thanx

Look at pages 40-45 of the manual here: http://kurzweil.com/content/migration/d ... manual.pdf

According to the specs there are 653 of them, thus there are many more sounds than just GM sounds ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby zenguitar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm

The main thing to understand is that General MIDI isn't one set of sounds shared by many different manufacturers. Instead it is, in part, a system of ordering sound banks so that, for example, choosing pre-set 57 will always be a trumpet sound. But, importantly, that trumpet sound will be generated by the synth using the synthesis method that synth uses, and chosen according to the preferences of the sound designer.

So although pre-set 57 will always be a trumpet. It can (and usually does) sound very different from synth to synth.

And for your KP 110, they are definitely Kurzweil sounds.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm

zenguitar wrote:And for your KP 110, they are definitely Kurzweil sounds.

We've been through this before with mort77, Andy. There is probably just one true Kurzweil sound, the rest are sounds that come with the keyboard. It's a Chinese-made keyboard OEM platform that has been taken up by several synth manufacturers. They add slight cosmetic tweaks to it, and add one or two of their own sounds (normally the main piano sound), but the rest are as it comes. Even the GM. So 99.98% of the sounds aren't configured by Kurzweil. It's region specific, so you will find it as the Medeli M361 and Roland X-E20 in different parts of the world.

Just don't worry about who 'made' the sounds. Do the sounds provide what you want? If so, then just use it. They could have been loaded by Kurzweil or Roland or some anonymous Chinese audio engineer, but they'd still sound the same.

If you really want true Kurzweil sounds, then you are going to have to spend more money. Maybe a used Kurzweil PC3?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:49 am

Wonks wrote:
zenguitar wrote:And for your KP 110, they are definitely Kurzweil sounds.

If you really want true Kurzweil sounds, then you are going to have to spend more money. Maybe a used Kurzweil PC3?

At which point I glance at the K2500 leaning against the wall taking up space. I'd love to keep it but I haven't got the space or the time, plus the other kit I have (thinking Kronos, ES7 and Trinity mainly) more than covers my needs in that department so I've finally promised Mrs. D. that it's getting listed on SOS this weekend once I've taken a few pics to provide to enquirers. I'll list it cheap as it's in the way. The sampled waveforms in the ROMs are exquisite though. I only wish I'd been able to afford it 20 years ago as I have little doubt I would have become a V.A.S.T. fanatic. -sigh-
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby zenguitar » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:58 am

In 6 to 12 months time I might well have been a buyer, if only to provide a new wall to lean it up against whilst meaning to get around to learning VAST :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby mort77 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for your responses guys

I have had the Kurz PC3 and PC161 in the past
But I prefer Nord & Krome for Piano But!
I liked some of the orchestra on the Kurzweil but thought some of them might of been on this cheap version since it advertised the triple strike piano.

Some of the orchestra ,symph,string ensembles are not bad
before I sold the PC3 I took some of the samples and put them in the Nord.
mort77
Poster