You are here

Using Multiple Sounds Whilst Performing

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Using Multiple Sounds Whilst Performing

Postby Jamesie1970 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi there,

I have a Roland FP-50 and I am in a band whereby I need to use sounds that include those already within the Roland but also some from an external source (Garageband) in a single song. When switching between sounds within the Roland, it's fine because I can use registrations to quickly change between sounds. The problem is when I need to change between a sound in the Roland and a sound from Garageband which I have connected via Midi. Ittakes too long to go to the laptop, find the mouse pointer and unmute the instrument in Garageband and then do the reverse when I need to stop using that sound and go back to a Roland internal one. I need to do this multiple times in some songs.

I have two questions. Firstly what kit do I need to do these changes instantly and secondly is Garageband the best software to use for this purpose or is there a better package (someone advised that Main Stage might be better?)

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give. I realise this might be a full on newbie question :)

Cheers

Paul
Jamesie1970

Re: Using Multiple Sounds Whilst Performing

Postby desmond » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Yes, Mainstage is designed for this....
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 am

What sounds are you using on the FP50? You would be better off programming everything in Mainstage then you can switch easily between sounds just using the arrow keys on your Mac.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby MarkOne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am

MainStage is really powerful. You could probably trap the program change message from the Roland and map it to a patch change in MS to move you to the next program, You can mix, layer, zone sounds including the Roland sounds in a single patch.

The only thing to watch is you might have to put the Roland into Local off mode to effectively make that a controller keyboard and a sound module, with MS doing the clever MIDI stuff. You then add an external instrument in MS so you can play the instrument and send it all the patch change data.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Jamesie1970 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for your responses guys, that has helped a lot. I have had a look at Main Stage, it looks like a really complex but powerful bit of software - I just need to learn how to use it now !!

Thanks again,

Paul
Jamesie1970

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:25 am

MY favourite performance software, Cantabile, is being ported to Mac right now. I'd highly recommend trying it out if you can. It is more powerful and flexible than Mainstage, though it does take a bit more getting your head around at first.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 am

The Elf wrote:Cantabile ... ported to Mac right now ... more powerful and flexible than Mainstage

a) interesting

and

b) in what way(s) is it more powerful / flexible?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 am

Dave B wrote:
The Elf wrote:Cantabile ... ported to Mac right now ... more powerful and flexible than Mainstage

a) interesting

and

b) in what way(s) is it more powerful / flexible?
You've really just got to try it to see. Controller aggregation and Linked Racks are top of my list, but everyone uses it differently. To even begin going through the possibilities is an impossible task. It's complex, but once you get you head around it...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.