You are here

Moog One

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moog One

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 pm

I was initially a little skeptical of the Moog One in terms of price/performance ratio. Having spent some time on it my opinion has changed somewhat. I'd still pause for thought before buying one due to the cost but the OS is lovely and intuitive and the synth has way more under the hood than it appears at first glance. It's not quite the snarly beast the Model D is but the sound has got something very special about it and it feels exceptionally 'alive' to play - at least to me.

Many of the factory presets are a little underwhelming, which is a bit unfortunate, but with some tweaking and general mucking about with the modulation (which is epic, and right up there with the Matrixbrute IMHO), splitting/layering and the lovely little multi-part step sequencer I suspect people will be discovering new tricks on it for ages yet. The possibilities are extensive.

Menu diving is very limited and only required for patch management really. Hardware buttons in the corner of each section of the control layout allow you to instantly bring up the appropriate screen for anything you're likely to need, which then gets auto-mapped to real knobs for editing.

I'm going to be doing a few jams on it with a couple of friends over the coming weeks and months and I'm rather looking forward to getting to know it better.

One thing I would say is the 16-voice version is pretty much required to get the most out of it. It would feel very limited with 8.

Food for thought.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Re: Moog One

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:24 am

I love everything about the Moog One, except... external PSU. On a machine of that price I just can't get past that. :headbang: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:23 am

Yeah I have to agree. Apart from the potential noise associated with, and physical inconvenience of, an external power supply it always bothers me that most people probably leave external supplies powered on permanently as a result. I use an individually switched extension where possible but occasionally for whatever reason that too is a pain.

I'm not sure if that's me worrying too much or not... the external supply for my Korg Triton Rack was still going strong after 18 years when I passed it on for example, and also I'm no electrician so it may be that the same is true of internal supplies (I suppose it depends where the synth switch is located in the chain) but certainly I prefer internal power supplies and on a premium synth I would have expected to have one.

As to whether that would stop me buying a Moog One should I find the money under the car seats, I'm not so sure though :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby IAA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 am

I agree Eddie, it is a very special instrument and one that really encourages you to develop sounds intuitively. The ongoing support (and development) from Moog reassure that it will be a modern classic. I’ve spent the last month or so with mine recreating sounds from prophets, JP8 and even CS80 as well as delicate soundscapes that you wouldn’t naturally feel would be Moog territory.
I have the 8 voice and whilst it limits full on tri-timbral patches, it’s no limitation to sound design even with two synths active. Surprisingly it’s been a revalation on mono synth duties and I’ve used it often instead of the model d.

The new additions in firmware 1.0.4 are also impressive.

It’s an investment for sure, but in VfM terms I an not disappointed - yes the external psu is a pain (as it is on the reissue model d) but I don’t gig with them so it’s not a problem for me. If I had to gig I’d sample them!

Looking forward to Gordon’s review with interest.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am

I've been just been explaining elsewhere that on two occasions one of my fellow players has turned up without his modern MiniMoog's PSU for rehearsal - and once for an actual gig!

Anyway - how about some audio of the beast?!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:48 am

The Elf wrote:Anyway - how about some audio of the beast?!

I'll be doing a multi-hour improv session on Monday afternoon/evening during which I'll be using the Moog One (along with either the OB-6 or Prophet 5, haven't settled on which yet) which we'll be recording. I'll be sure to get some Moog-only noodles down for illustrative purposes :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DavyP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:

I'll be doing a multi-hour improv session on Monday afternoon/evening during which I'll be using the Moog One (along with either the OB-6 or Prophet 5, haven't settled on which yet) which we'll be recording. I'll be sure to get some Moog-only noodles down for illustrative purposes :thumbup:

Looking forward to this :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby IAA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Anyway - how about some audio of the beast?!

Let me pop some on my soundcloud when I’m back in the studio.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:

:clap: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:21 am

Further to this, we did our session and the recording didn't work out for infuriating technical reasons. We did our part but we record via the main desk and the channel pannings and levels were so far out of kilter to be borderline unusable. Mainly the panning due to a submix coming in from some of the kit via a different desk. I tried to salvage it after the fact but failed. I can't live with a pseudo mono mix within the context of the jam.

Another session this Tuesday coming, I'll be carving out some solo time in proceedings for a Moog One section and whatever else transpires, given the previous experience the panning will be spot-f***ing-on.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Ive just got time in the studio today after Easter hols and quickly knocked this short track to Let you see some of the sound capabilities of the One. All sounds from the One and only FX (in DAW) were delay and reverb. All sounds were built from an init patch this morning as I recorded the song - its pretty easy to navigate and the UI begs to be experimented with! :headbang:
I'm enjoying it!

https://soundcloud.com/iaamusic-699918500/moog-one-sounds
Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:27 pm

IAA wrote:Ive just got time in the studio today after Easter hols and quickly knocked this short track to Let you see some of the sound capabilities of the One. All sounds from the One and only FX (in DAW) were delay and reverb. All sounds were built from an init patch this morning as I recorded the song - its pretty easy to navigate and the UI begs to be experimented with! :headbang:
I'm enjoying it!

https://soundcloud.com/iaamusic-699918500/moog-one-sounds
Ian

Very nice! I like! :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:40 pm

That's rather nice.
Moog isn't bad either :tongue: :bouncy:
My coat? Why, thank you :wave:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby IAA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks gents. You’ll note I started the sounds with a helicopter sound - which was the first sound I did from scratch on my first ever synth (SH09) and in my book if a synth can’t do a half decent helicopter sound what’s the point in looking further.... having said that... there’s not many songs where I can slot one on nowadays so you’re the lucky beneficiaries :beamup: :beamup:
IAA
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi Ian!

I really enjoyed this (even the helicopter ;) )

But woo-hoo - it really comes alive at 1:02. Lurve this final section!!!!!!!!! :clap: 8-) :ugeek:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Lovely. Definitely my kinda stuff! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DavyP » Wed May 01, 2019 5:43 am

I should have one of these by the end of the week. Debated long and hard about getting either the 8 voice or 16 voice. Went for the 16 in the end as I didn't want to have buyers remorse over not having 16 voices. Hope the additional cost is worth it!

I'll put up a few videos as soon as I can. I'm going on a short break for a week so it might be a couple of weeks before I get something up but I'm pretty prolific with videos so should have plenty of sound demos uploaded once I get back :thumbup: .

Going to bring the OP-Z with me though, don't think the Moog One would be portable enough to take with me :D I might even sample the Moog and upload it to the OP-Z just for the fun of it. :lol:
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 01, 2019 5:54 am

DavyP wrote:don't think the Moog One would be portable enough to take with me

You are not wrong - looking forward to seeing what you come up with Davy, good luck in the meantime :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Wed May 01, 2019 7:26 am

I'll put up a few videos as soon as I can. I'm going on a short break for a week so it might be a couple of weeks before I get something up but I'm pretty prolific with videos so should have plenty of sound demos uploaded once I get back :thumbup: .

Looking forward to that Dave, it really is a modular powerhouse. (It looks good too especially when you switch it on!).

I’m working on some tracks with the sequencer now, which Is actually easy to use and seems very powerful, particularly when you have each synth using different rhythms.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby DavyP » Wed May 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Yeah I can't wait, it should be here on Friday. I did have a last minute change of mind and switched to the 8 voice as the way I intend to use it is as a part of my songs not the centre piece. I have a Prophet Xl and Waldorf Quantum(still waiting on it arriving!!! been ages), and with those and the Moog I thought 8 voices would be enough for it to fit in. I'll not be doing a Herbie Hancock or Stevie Wonder with it :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Next