You are here

Behringer MS 101 - Opening a box?????

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Behringer MS 101 - Opening a box?????

Postby DavyP » Sun May 05, 2019 5:20 pm

https://youtu.be/gs3ZN16n3bM

https://youtu.be/Wq3LGkF1r2w

I did a couple of videos on the Sequencer as Behringer are determined to keep it a secret and still have not provided a manual online :)
DavyP
Regular

Re: Behringer MS 101 -80's Nostalgia

Postby DavyP » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:45 am

https://youtu.be/6IDUfSKKhU4

One that Martin might appreciate, some 80's nostalgia :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Just got one of these today, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It sounds great, the keybed feels a lot like the one in the vocoder, so is springy enough for widdly playing, and the whole thing feels more solid than it looks. Interesting that they added a velocity CV out, too, and though there's no velocity routing on the panel, you can hook up a jack from the socket to one of the CV inputs...

I'm not a fan of the illuminated bender, mind. And the maximum speed of the arpeggiator is a bit sedate for my liking, unless I'm missing something. Apart from that, it's a corker :thumbup:
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:02 pm

I think I'm waiting for the grey version :geek:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby DavyP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 am

BillB wrote:I think I'm waiting for the grey version :geek:

The Blue one looks really nice, alternatively you could buy a Black one and leave it out in the sun for a week and create your own grey version :D
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 am

nathanscribe wrote:Just got one of these today, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It sounds great, the keybed feels a lot like the one in the vocoder, so is springy enough for widdly playing, and the whole thing feels more solid than it looks. Interesting that they added a velocity CV out, too, and though there's no velocity routing on the panel, you can hook up a jack from the socket to one of the CV inputs...

I'm not a fan of the illuminated bender, mind. And the maximum speed of the arpeggiator is a bit sedate for my liking, unless I'm missing something. Apart from that, it's a corker :thumbup:

It is a really great synth for the price, I think more people are getting over their Behringer hate and realising theirs fun to be had with great synths for silly cheap prices :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:48 am

DavyP wrote:great synths for silly cheap prices :thumbup:

Absolutely. It's not just Behringer of course, we've got the Korg ARP and MS, and the Roland Boutiques – even the Aira stuff – and Cyclone's series of TR/CR/TB inspired units. I mean, you can get online and within a day you can have an Odyssey, Minimoog, MS-20, and SH-101 – more or less, with the emphasis on "slightly less", given the footprints – for about £1400 or so at retail prices. Even the original SH-101s are creeping up towards a grand or more these days. I think they all sound very good, and I'm happy compromising on any differences for the price. I'm a big vintage synth-head, but the relentless upkeep of these old things can be a real headache, let alone the upfront purchase price of almost everything older than the 90s. Yes, it would be nice to have a better build on the MS-20 mini (or, in preference, that Korg had continued to make the full size model/desktop); it would be nice to not have to deal with flimsy micro-USB as a power connector, or have to rely on software updates for glitches in things that used to be just analogue hardware. But, less than 300 quid for a proper analogue monosynth with decent keys and a classic sound? Yes please!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby DavyP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 am

nathanscribe wrote:
DavyP wrote:great synths for silly cheap prices :thumbup:

Absolutely. It's not just Behringer of course, we've got the Korg ARP and MS, and the Roland Boutiques – even the Aira stuff – and Cyclone's series of TR/CR/TB inspired units. I mean, you can get online and within a day you can have an Odyssey, Minimoog, MS-20, and SH-101 – more or less, with the emphasis on "slightly less", given the footprints – for about £1400 or so at retail prices. Even the original SH-101s are creeping up towards a grand or more these days. I think they all sound very good, and I'm happy compromising on any differences for the price. I'm a big vintage synth-head, but the relentless upkeep of these old things can be a real headache, let alone the upfront purchase price of almost everything older than the 90s. Yes, it would be nice to have a better build on the MS-20 mini (or, in preference, that Korg had continued to make the full size model/desktop); it would be nice to not have to deal with flimsy micro-USB as a power connector, or have to rely on software updates for glitches in things that used to be just analogue hardware. But, less than 300 quid for a proper analogue monosynth with decent keys and a classic sound? Yes please!

I seen Loopop reviewed the Crave on his channel, that will be another bargain, think I'm going to grab a couple of them when they come out. I think a lot of people will grab one for the price. The problem with that one is having all the patch points etc it will confuse quite a few of the buyers who may not have used an analogue synth before never mind have patch points to deal with as well as synthesis, but get one because they are so cheap. So it could possibly defeat the argument that it will introduce a load more people to music making as it would have a different learning curve to a synth with memory and presets. Plus it means if you do a demo you have to answer tons of questions, and often the same one, over and over :D
DavyP
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:27 pm

DavyP wrote:Went for something different with the 101 rather than recreate classic sounds like a load of others will no doubt do, i did a film type score :D

Used the Prophet xl for the drone, Techno system Percussion and my FX Modular along with the MS 101

https://youtu.be/mESBINkPet8

Love this
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby DavyP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Richie Royale wrote:
DavyP wrote:Went for something different with the 101 rather than recreate classic sounds like a load of others will no doubt do, i did a film type score :D

Used the Prophet xl for the drone, Techno system Percussion and my FX Modular along with the MS 101

https://youtu.be/mESBINkPet8

Love this

Thanks Ritchie, I always enjoy taking synths away from what they are commonly known for and try something different so it's nice to know someone took the time to listen and enjoy it.

It's funny because I could also get a comment like "WTF is this shit, where's the acid!" :D

One guy recently said "all that gear and this is all you can do" , so I plan to Michael row the boat ashore in the keys A,D and E and send him the link, I like to troll my channel :D
DavyP
Regular

Previous