You are here

Gecho Loopsynth V2

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Gecho Loopsynth V2

Postby BJG145 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:01 pm

...just launched and available for pre-order.

http://gechologic.com/preorder/

Here's a lizard enjoying V1.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Gecho Loopsynth V2

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Now apart from those three incongruous slide switches and the non-blackodised screw heads (EDIT - the screw heads may look like steel on this photo, but apparently they are supplied in black, so I whole-heartedly retract this comment ;) ), that is a thing of beauty 8-)

Three small rectangular strips of black Rexine with slot cutouts in them stuck on those switches (or even the careful application of a black waterproof marker) would be a huge improvement IMO.

Synth looks fascinating though - will listen a lot more closely now :ugeek:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 04, 2019 1:57 pm

On further investigation, I'm beginning to love this Gecho concept.

Love this hilarious advert of theirs for version one :bouncy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4h4Rm ... r_embedded

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Hmm... now I'm seriously considering a pre-order, as well as realising why I never got around to supporting version 1 - I Liked the Gecho Facebook page many months ago, but FB never put ANY of the subsequent Gecho FB updates into my feed :madas:

Before my pre-order I just need to learn more about the differences between the five physical/case/front panel options before making my final decision. Do I go for the simplest option and then create yet another in my long line of steampunk cases, or take the much easier option and just buy their own wooden case? ;)

Thanks so much for posting this BJG145! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Love this hilarious advert

...hah, yeah, I like Mario's attitude. I've been waiting to get my hands on one of these for a while...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi again BJG145

Well I've put my money where my mouth is, and just pre-ordered a Complete DIY kit + wooden box.

Looks and sounds like it will fit beautifully into my steampunk audio collection 8-)

Thanks again for tipping us off - I suspect the pre-orders will soon be overloaded :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby InactiveX » Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

I have v1 and it's brilliant. I love using it for inspiration.

I went for the official box and it's a fine looking piece. I got someone to finish it with tung oil. At the moment my Gecho box is sitting on the window sill, to add some character to the wood (if we ever get any sunshine again).

Also you can find me on the Gecho forum!

I thoroughly recommend the Loopsynth, although I haven't tried v2.
InactiveX
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 06, 2019 3:58 pm

InactiveX wrote:I have v1 and it's brilliant. I love using it for inspiration.

I went for the official box and it's a fine looking piece. I got someone to finish it with tung oil. At the moment my Gecho box is sitting on the window sill, to add some character to the wood (if we ever get any sunshine again).

Also you can find me on the Gecho forum!

I thoroughly recommend the Loopsynth, although I haven't tried v2.

Hi InactiveX!

v2 does seem to add various functions that were available on v1, but only if you soldered up a few extra wires and a socket (MIDI in particular). The new v2 front panel also looks great.

Yep, I've just registered on the Gecho forum, spotted your name and thought 'that looks familiar!', and also saw your mention of the tung oil treatment 8-)

Mario (the designer/deveoper) also replied to me personally after I placed my order, has obviously read this thread, and even thanked me for my opinion on 'v2 Gecho aesthetics' :thumbup:

We're off to a great start! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm

So did you pick out the colour scheme from your customisation link yet Martin? I went for the regal burgundy on gold. ;)

Here's the latest promo for non-believers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINaCiN ... I9F_KQwQEg
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:46 pm

I went for sunflower yellow on gold - those burgundy buttons seemed a little too dark for comfort in contrast to the matt black, whereas yellow and gold seemed a sensible match ;)

We can always change our minds later on :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Martin, have you got your Gecho yet...?

Mine arrived this afternoon. It looks very nice but...I'm pretty baffled by it and I don't want to ask Mario a bunch of embarrassingly naive questions (eg "how do I turn it on?").

*edit*

Aha, it's doing something now. I've no idea how, I just put some batteries in it and fiddled with it randomly for about half an hour. :D
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi BJG145,

What exciting news!

No, I haven't got mine yet - I'm currently 77th on the list, but that's dropped from 105th in the last few days, so I'm not expecting to wait too much longer.

Like you, I have little idea what to expect, as Mario's YouTube videos are a bit impenetrable (although admittedly great fun ;) ), so I can't help at the moment, although I hope there's some sort of manual.

Hopefully once mine arrives in a matter of days I'll be able to help a little more, but don't forget there's a Gecho forum and Facebook page, where no doubt many other people will be asking questions, so I'm sure you needn't be embarrassed :D

By the way, was it you that mentioned being interested in getting a Dadamachines Automat on the next production run? It's just that I think I was a bit too enthusiastic buying mine after getting a Koma Field Kit (which I really love), and because my Automat still hasn't really got used in anger. If it was you, do drop me a PM if you might be interested in mine.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:39 pm

It's completely confusing TBH...I think I'm going to put it on the shelf until you've figured it out.

(Thanks for the suggestion re: the Automat - I actually ordered one a while back which I'm still waiting for, but there aren't many about so I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding a buyer.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:31 pm

BJG145 wrote:It's completely confusing TBH...I think I'm going to put it on the shelf until you've figured it out.

I'll do my best! :bouncy:

Have you read this on-line manual for version 1 though? It does seem to cover all the basics including powering up and selecting channels: http://gechologic.com/manual

That page also states the following, which may reassure you:

User Manual
Please note this manual is for v1, the detailed manual for v2 that extends the printed materials you are receiving with your unit will be published later this month. Channel numbers have changed so what you see below no longer applies to v2.

BJG145 wrote:(Thanks for the suggestion re: the Automat - I actually ordered one a while back which I'm still waiting for, but there aren't many about so I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding a buyer.)

Fairy nuff - I'm glad my memory wasn't playing up, and that it WAS you ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:33 pm

...starting to get the hang of it now. It's a great little thing...just dozing off to one of its wacky presets, with birdsong and tripped-out Bach or something. :angel:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby InactiveX » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:20 am

BJG145 wrote:Aha, it's doing something now. I've no idea how, I just put some batteries in it and fiddled with it randomly for about half an hour. :D

...which is the best way to learn how the Gecho works!

I have this romantic idea of someone finding my Gecho in a dusty attic years from now, and thinking "what on earth is this?". A while spent poking around would reveal Gecho's wonders to this future user.

Tip for new users: a "channel" is what most of us would call a patch.
InactiveX
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:08 pm

This image (once again for version 1) is also great for newbies:

As for any channel/patch confusion, I agree with InactiveX that patch conveys more meaning than channel, but on the other hand, these 'channels' can do a lot more than the vast majority of synth patches, including coding for different synthesis methods, filter types, or anything else for that matter that its creator or end users dream up and write code for 8-)

Personally I think the old-fashioned term program (as used by Korg for many of their synths) makes more sense for the amazingly versatile Gecho! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Good to see that V2 of the instructions and channel list are now up...makes more sense now...!

I've just managed to fix one thing that was bugging me. I imagine using it mainly with speakers, but with the default settings its built-in mic will rapidly start causing feedback unless you turn it off - which you can do by tapping Button 4. However, this introduces a hiss. But...put a jack plug into Line In, and, hiss gone. Happy now...currently listening to a clean amplified sound for the first time. :thumbup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:48 am

(...just a quick note to say that I've since had a helpful email from Mario explaining what I was doing wrong...!)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 pm

I got an email telling me that my Gecho has shipped from Ireland today! :thumbup:

I'm getting excited now :shifty:

Martin
Martin Walker

Next