You are here

ELKA MK88

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

ELKA MK88

Postby fatbenelton » Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi is anybody familiar with the MK88 Master keyboard?(I seem to recall the Elf recently got hold of a MK55?)

I'm having problems seeing if the Poly Aftertouch is working....I've got my head around the panel and set the appropriate curve, set it to touch poly and on but using Midi Monitor on my mac I can't see aftertouch at all.....I can see note on/off, pitch and mod wheel and info from the three fader's but no aftertouch at all incl channel. The keyboard itself is pretty tidy condition and as everything else seems to work I think I am perhaps not setting it correctly.

On the other hand perhaps the aftertouch sensor may be broken but unsure it it uses a single 'bar' across all keys or sensors on each key? If the former then that is prob the issue but if the latter it could be a setting as it would be unlikely every key is broken.

Appreciate this isn't a general query but hopefully somebody may have an Elka! Also, looking for a factory reset if there is one?

Cheers in hope!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Re: ELKA MK88

Postby The Elf » Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 pm

It can't use a single bar across all keys, or it couldn't generate poly AT.

The model I bought was the MK76 - and what a lovely keyboard it truly is.

I have no trouble switching on poly or channel AT. Have you downloaded the manual and checked all your settings? It's not obvious how to work with these things at first sight, but once the penny drops it's fairly straightforward.

I could walk you through the settings, but not just at the moment.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby fatbenelton » Mon May 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks Elf - yes, got the manual. I think I’m doing it right but will continue looking through. I doubt every single sensor is broken so pretty sure I’m doing something wrong!! I’ll report back....
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby desmond » Mon May 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Also, make sure you're not filtering out poly AT in your interface or DAW etc...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Good point - - going straight into Midi Monitor with poly AT 'ticked' but using an Emagic MT4. I assume it passes all info but perhaps not? It lights up showing MIDI info but not for aftertouch so it looks like nothing coming out of the MK.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby fatbenelton » Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Right still stumped...using midi monitor and MT4 but ruled out any filtering etc by testing it with my TS10 - poly aftertouch showing up fine.

With the MK88 I'm setting up a new split across the entire keyboard ( as per the manual) and setting up the aftertouch as part of that split. Nothing showing on poly or channel aftertouch. I still find it hard to beieve all the sensors are dead but struggling to see what else it could be?? Any thoughts before I send it off for repair??

Mr Elf, as part of your consultancy offering, do you ever go as far as Liverpool??
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby The Elf » Sun May 19, 2019 5:56 pm

I do... but it will have to be a couple of weeks as I'm rehearsals right now.

This week I will drag the MK76 into the studio and remind myself how it works!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby fatbenelton » Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Cheers!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny