You are here

Roland MC-500 incoming!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Roland MC-500 incoming!

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am

Still using my MC-50. The great thing about these sequencers is you can lock their timing to your DAW via FSK when you need to get some audio happening alongside your midi - way better than midi clock!
http://mezzoauto.blogspot.com/2014/08/r ... encer.html
Very fast way of writing phrases and rhythms, once your cerebellum gets the hang of the key combos - no mouse!
Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
http://www.adambaby.com
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:08 pm

That idea intrigues me. I am using Logic Pro X and after a quick search couldn’t find anything under FSK/FSK sync. Going to have to take a closer look.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Some of the info here may help...

http://www.adambaby.com/studiotech_sync.html#smartFSK

HTH
Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Groovy, thanks!!

Edit: that blog is @ treasure trove!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 pm

I still record a clock from the LinnDrum as audio into the DAW, then run that back out and send analogue triggers to step sequencers and whatnot. I've had way too much trouble with MIDI working differently on different devices with how they respond to start/stop/continue etc. Can't be bothered. Give me the simplicity of having to do everything the long way round!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby BillB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 pm

This is really interesting. It sent me scurrying off through my manuals, to see which of my old gear might play the game. Answer: TR-626 and SQ80, but both seem to require tape synced from start of song, no ‘smart FSK’ to MIDI SPP here. But am I missing something? Why not set a piece of hardware (drum machine, sequencer) as the master MIDI clock, and have the DAW slave to that? Or is the problem still that the sync signal is transmitted by MIDI? And perhaps that DAWs don’t slave well to Sync signals? Not explored this issue either way around, but I’m curious.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:18 pm

BillB wrote:Or is the problem still that the sync signal is transmitted by MIDI? And perhaps that DAWs don’t slave well to Sync signals? Not explored this issue either way around, but I’m curious.

Yes, both.
Midi being a serial protocol doesn't do timing clock accurately. Even if you can guarantee there will be no other messages on the bus i.e. you have a dedicated midi clock cable, there can still be significant jitter. Using audio sync signals minimises jitter enormously, and keeps your midi busses free for notes and CCs etc. My standard DAW template has a sync track that drives two Innerclock Sync locks, an FSK track that drives a Roland MC-50, and an audio clock for the little Korg SQ-1. Once the latencies were adjusted for, it's set and forget.
And yes DAWs are generally pretty terrible at smoothly following a tempo clock that might be running at 24 pulses per quarter note.
Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks Adam, good to know.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:50 am

Had my first check using the MC-500 last night. It ran out of memory! Fortunately, I was able to get the finishing touches done. So, lesson learned: check Available Memory often and plan bounces out carefully!

Fortunately the MRP-500 let's me stack songs. :)

FYI, I was able to fit about 80 measures with 7-8 MIDI channels of continuous data before it ran out of memory.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Had a crack at using the R-TRK and R-PTN settings last night. On the plus side, it works hand in glove with my BOSS DR-550 drum machine, as one would expect. On the minus side, programming drums 1 measure at a times can be very tedious! A simple pattern clone feature would have been a great addition. Aside from that, it's quite intuitive and adds another layer of sounds (and complexity) to the MIDI/modular hybrid!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous