You are here

Wall mounting your keyboards?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Wall mounting your keyboards?

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where in Europe you can buy the wall mounting keyboard racks that music shops use? Like these:

https://www.stringswing.com/product/cck ... board-rack

Can get them from String Swing but it's not cheap and delivery is slow. I have them in my own studio (bought used on Ebay) and they're very sturdy, taking up a lot less space than a regular keyboard stand. Plus it looks cool, like a shop lol!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Re: Wall mounting your keyboards?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 31, 2019 10:54 am

Ha! This brings back memories!

Some time ago I was desperately looking for something like this. I've not looked recently but in the end I drew a blank and ended up using a triple A-frame floor standing one, three double-tier floor standing ones and some adjustable wall-mounted shelving (which works for storage but not for playing).

Sorry this doesn't help with the original query, but it's the first time I've seen anyone else looking for the same thing. Thinking about it, I've been frustrated with the lack of space available lately and having wall mounted supports would make a big difference so I think it may be time to resume the search myself.

I'm tempted by the US link you posted to be honest, but I would certainly have to drill extra holes at the top - there's no way I'd trust some of my synths to a single anchor-point being pulled against by the weight of the board as shown in the photos :o

Why oh why aren't products like this more common?! Maybe I answered my own question there :(
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 31, 2019 11:08 am

Hmmm... Perhaps we should organise a group buy of our own custom design of wall-mounting keyboard 'hangers' made in the UK... I'd be up for at least a couple of sets and I'm sure there's enough expertise amongst the forum members to design something acceptable to all and get it fabricated.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Hmmm... Perhaps we should organise a group buy of our own custom design of wall-mounting keyboard 'hangers' made in the UK... I'd be up for at least a couple of sets and I'm sure there's enough expertise amongst the forum members to design something acceptable to all and get it fabricated.

H

That would be fantastic and if it's possible then I'm very much in. I'd buy at least a dozen pairs of them :thumbup:

I even considered making my own out of hardwood but they would be too bulky; really it's a job for metal and I'm not a metalworker by any stretch of the imagination.

Another possibility might be some custom angled inserts for the wall-mounted rails you can get in most DIY shops.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby fruitcake » Fri May 31, 2019 11:28 am

I noticed they had a grid wall and slatwall option on the hangers. That’s a very common retail display system in the US. I would think they’d be available in the UK. It would have a few benefits. You basically attach a panel to your wall and the hangers go wherever you need them. It would spread the load over a larger area if you’re not able to drill into a wall stud at the proper spot. And spacing is very adjustable if your needs change.
I may look into that myself. I’m working on converting storage into a studio, trying to figure out how to fit everything.

As an aside. Does anyone use 90 degrees patch cords on their gear? I’ve always used straight ones for some reason. They stick out quite far.
fruitcake
Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri May 31, 2019 11:33 am

Go to Homebase / B&Q and get the strips that you attach to the wall and the different length arms that stick out. I used those for years and a I know of studios that still have them. Cheap as chips. Originally designed for shelves iirc, but happily take a few keyboards up a wall.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 31, 2019 11:41 am

Dave B wrote:Go to Homebase / B&Q and get the strips that you attach to the wall and the different length arms that stick out. I used those for years and a I know of studios that still have them. Cheap as chips. Originally designed for shelves iirc, but happily take a few keyboards up a wall.

I have some myself and linked some above ...

Eddy Deegan wrote:Another possibility might be some custom angled inserts for the wall-mounted rails you can get in most DIY shops.

... but they're not angled. I want my synths at about a 30 degree tilt downwards so I can see and play them properly all the way up the wall :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 31, 2019 11:50 am

fruitcake wrote:Does anyone use 90 degrees patch cords on their gear?

Yes, lots of them for gear that has to be placed close to a wall -- for the obvious reason you mention.

I also use them for gear with cables dropping to the floor from a height because the weight of the cable from the end of a straight jack plug actually exerts quite a lot of leverage on the tip of the plug which potentially distorts and weakens the spring contacts in the socket. A 90-degree plug minimises the leverage effect.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:... but they're not angled. I want my synths at about a 30 degree tilt downwards so I can see and play them properly all the way up the wall :tongue:
I've never checked here but you used to be able to buy angled or adjustable ones in Holland - I helped fit the shop out with them when I worked in Amsterdam. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:39 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:... but they're not angled. I want my synths at about a 30 degree tilt downwards so I can see and play them properly all the way up the wall :tongue:
I've never checked here but you used to be able to buy angled or adjustable ones in Holland - I helped fit the shop out with them when I worked in Amsterdam. :)

I'm in Amsterdam all next week ... hmmm ... :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Well I got them from a small hardware shop in VanWoustraat - but it was, ahem, a while ago now! Probably not the best use of your baggage weight allowance either... ;)

Somewhat amazingly I can find Australian and American sellers on google but not from the UK.

Something like this might do the job though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/YUYUE21-thick- ... 76&sr=1-21
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BillB » Fri May 31, 2019 3:30 pm

Most of my keyboard racking is standard dual-tier plus 1 triple-tier.
blinddrew wrote:Something like this might do the job though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/YUYUE21-thick- ... 76&sr=1-21

That's pretty much what I did to mount my (fairly lightweight) SH-201 above the triple-tier rack:

The adjustable brackets were 'fixed' at the right angle by placing just the right sized wooden block:

As there is no nice bracket at the bottom to to stop the keyboard sliding off, I then had to improvise by bolting on an angle bracket (with sticky-back foam to prevent scratching):

Elsewhere I have used ordinary shelving brackets with angled fillers made from corrugated cardboard and gaffer tape, and end stops from quarter-section dowel and gaffer tape:

That's the Blue Peter generation for you :bouncy:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri May 31, 2019 3:44 pm

I have angled slot brackets for a couple of synths
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201464263898

I had to add a little corner bracket to the ends to prevent anything sliding off (similar to one in BillBs picture)
I will post a pic later this evening when I get a chance
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri May 31, 2019 10:53 pm

Wow! Very nice suggestions. I'll post photos when my setup is finished. I've only put up two light keyboards so far. I need better screws to put an Casio FZ-1(17.5kg) and an Ensoniq ESQ-1 (15kg) up on the wall. The screws will go in to the wood uprights of the stud partition.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 31, 2019 11:39 pm

Good food for thought all round. I'm going to mull it over, as glancing around here I could really do with a workable solution even if it involves a little DIY.

Those adjustable shelf brackets look a very useful starting point for reference, thanks Drew.

Now if only someone would productise an adjustable synth rack solution with built-in patch points for audio and MIDI along with a power distribution option ... :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:56 am

If you've got space, you could build your own version of these slide-out shelves?

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,606 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:57 am

Oooh... I've just made a mess.... :oops: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:59 am

Boots Pharmacy incontinence pants -- essential for anyone suffering from GAS. :D
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:00 pm

:lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Forum Admin wrote:

The image actually is taken from an October 2004 SOS Readerzone article on a chap called Philip Taysom (sadly, I believe he sold off most of his collection of synths).

Worth a read though:
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/readerzone-philip-taysom-synthfest
Forum Admin

Next