You are here

Internal PSU - so space isn't the issue...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Internal PSU - so space isn't the issue...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:37 pm

ef37a wrote: I guess nobody wants to go back to captive mains cables?

Are they not just an internal PSU without an external socket? If you mean devices where the mains cable disappears into the unit directly, I'd prefer an external PSU (even though I'm with Elf on preference for IEC sockets).

The SY85 has a captive cable and while in normal operation it's no biggie, the pressure exerted on the cable by the grommet which clamps it is way too high (I've had to replace two cables over the years for this reason) and when I was a gigging musician it was a pain. Apart from being awkward, the number of times I stepped on the plug during setup/wrap-down was ridiculous!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby ef37a » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 pm

"They would have, actually -- it was a mod they were prepared to offer to special order because they appreciated the sense of it. As I said in my review:"

Well maybe Hugh but I am sure you got my drift? IN GENERAL an audio company is much less likely to listen to a crumbling old amp jockey in the sticks than the prestigious technical editor of the premier audio magazine on the planet!

But yes, I learned my trade when retailers had a close association with manufacturers. In a large town a few dealers would mainly stock Philips, B&O (bstds to fix!) Grundig. Another couple would be Rank Bush Murphy, Ferguson and they all had a smattering of Japanese kit later on. These firms would request fault reports so that problems could be fed back to the design department and also disseminated to other dealers saving them diagnostic time.

I suppose there is a bit of that left at the high price end but mostly, once the warranty runs out they don't want to know. Sometimes hard IN bloody warranty from a few reports I have read!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Ha! Memories :)
I can remember when Radio Rentals still sent us out to repair ancient radios that were still rented by little old ladies. Only this wasn't a rip-off, the old dears would never dream of owning such a thing, and hadn't noticed they were getting excellent service for only a shilling a month :lol:
You don't get service anything like that these days.

One particular fond memory I have was when I was sent out on one of these calls. The fault was just a broken drive cord, but without giving it a second thought I replaced the dead dial lights too.
When I called the lady in she cried out with her hands up to her face. Needless to say I was worried until she said in a sort of awed daze "It's all lit up! It's never been lit up."
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Back in the '70s I worked for a TV rental company in the NW, Telefusion. I was a salesman and, later, shop manager in South Manchester. We covered a both the most affluent (Hale Barnes) and most impoverished (Sharston/Benchill) areas in the region. We had an installation tech based at the shop and the once a week job we tried to avoid (by going to the pub) was our debt collection evening. We'd knock on a couple of doors and then go and spend the (£7 IIRC) expenses on beer........ The tech was the longest served on the staff so he knew which addresses were worth a knock and which to steer clear of (big dogs/husbands) and he had the van...........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Boss pedals seem pretty robust in the face of non-regulated PSUs. For some bizarre reason the Boss PSU that came with my MicroCube is un-regulated and punts out 13V with no load. I did not realise and powered my Peterson StroboStomp from it which instantaneously popped....... Can't understand why all pedals don't have a built in regulator to protect them (well, I can actually, it's called 'profit').....

There are a huge number of unregulated PSUs out there that are chosen so that when plugged into the device they are partnered with, the loaded voltage drops to a suitable value.

IN the case of a power amplifier like the ROland Micro Cube, this load will be hefty, so the unloaded voltage will probably be considerably higher than when the MIcro Cubse is running - hence your StroboStomp going pop.

And yes, its largely down to profit margins, since it's far cheaper to use an unregulated PSU and regulate it yourself inside the device.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Boss pedals all insist on a regulated PSU (Boss PSA 240, now the PSA 230ES) but it's an extra. I guess the PSU with the MicroCube is included they saved money.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Folderol » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

The irony is that modern switch mode PSUs are not only smaller, fully regulated and universal input, they are also cheaper to manufacture!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 pm

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OTOH that'll be why they called the PSA230 into existence......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous