You are here

Help with DX7

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Help with DX7

Postby oclmtz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:33 pm

When I bought my dx7 I noticed the notes would bend on the first attack but would sound normal after that. I’m a noob so please be patient with hoe I’m describing the problem. The notes don’t bend if I play with one hand and that’s frustrating me. I took it to a repair shop and the tech said I might need a new cpu board. I couldn’t figure out how to get rid of the bend so I got a refurbished board and had it installed. That fixed the issue BUT my roommate changed some of the parameters and now the bend is back.

I tried loading factory patches but it still sounds off. Any suggestions?
oclmtz
New here

Re: Help with DX7

Postby Janneman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi there, have you tried to reset the dx7?
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby oclmtz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:35 am

No I haven’t reset it. I haven’t figured out how to do that.
oclmtz
New here

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:52 am

What DX7 is it? a MK1? or one of the others.This sounds like a parameter adjustment issue in the Pitch E.G, a new board may not have been necessary. I would do a self test, on a MK1 it's Function and buttons 16 and 32 let it run through, it should reset in the process. I had numerous issues on my MK1 and this always seemed to sort things out. Also, pitch on mine went a bit crazy always after loading in new sounds, I just had to go in and reset the pitch bend parameters and all was fine. These are very reliable synths, the hardware rarely goes wrong.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby oclmtz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:04 pm

It’s mk1 and yeah I may have jumped the gun with replacing the board.

I started the test sequence and the first thing displayed is “v1.8 06-sep-85 test entry”

I’ve gone through test 4. At test 5 the data slider, pitch and modulation wheels work fine. But if at the start of the test I hit a key the display reads “data entry”. I have to press down on the key really hard for the display to read “after”. I skipped tests 6-8, those are the cartridge tests. After test 8 I’m out of test mode. For some reason I’m not getting into any test after 8.
oclmtz
New here

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:24 am

oclmtz wrote:It’s mk1 and yeah I may have jumped the gun with replacing the board.

I started the test sequence and the first thing displayed is “v1.8 06-sep-85 test entry”

I’ve gone through test 4. At test 5 the data slider, pitch and modulation wheels work fine. But if at the start of the test I hit a key the display reads “data entry”. I have to press down on the key really hard for the display to read “after”. I skipped tests 6-8, those are the cartridge tests. After test 8 I’m out of test mode. For some reason I’m not getting into any test after 8.

I think tests 9/10 refer to the cartridge RAM/ROM, as there is no internal ROM.
Does it work OK now though? Have you reset parameters?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby oclmtz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Tests 6-8 are for the cartridge RAM/ROM. Tests 9 and 10 are for internal memory according to Eddy Reynolds in the 03/84 Keyboard Magazine article.

Ive tried adjusting the eg pitch parameters but no luck.
oclmtz
New here

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:45 am

oclmtz wrote:Tests 6-8 are for the cartridge RAM/ROM. Tests 9 and 10 are for internal memory according to Eddy Reynolds in the 03/84 Keyboard Magazine article.

Ive tried adjusting the eg pitch parameters but no luck.

Just a mention, pitch EG, a value of 50 is normal for the level. But, the fact that it's OK when you only play one note at a time suggests something a bit more serious.
In these cases it's often cheaper to buy a good functioning one, than to get it repaired, and it may take you ages to find someone who really knows what they're doing. Also, getting replacement chips for these is difficult now, as Yamah have stopped supplying chips recently.
Try ringing Dusty Miller in the service department of Yamaha in Milton Keynes, he's an unbelievable source of info on DX's.
I'd keep fiddling, strange it was working after it was fixed, and isn't after your friend altered things.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster