You are here

Buchla users, advice needed.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Buchla users, advice needed.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:41 am

I bought a Music Easel some time ago, and I've only just recently got into it. At first I had real trouble "getting it" but now it's second nature and I'm coming up with interesting stuff and I'm thinking of adding to the Easel. Trouble is that the price of Buchla modules is very high compared to something like Eurorack, and it would be a substantial financial commitment to put even a small boat together. What attracted me to the Easel was that it's a self contained portable instrument in its own right, so expanding it would mean another case, which goes against why I bought it in the first place, small, and portable.
However, I'm really getting into the sound of this stuff, it really is unique, and there is "nothing" else that sounds like it, it's completely unclassifiable and sometimes you really don't know what you're listening to, acoustic, or electronic.
Just one extra oscillator on its own is an infinite sonic landscape, so a 4 space boat would make sense, and fit with the Easel, and impose a restriction on buying more modules.
But it could be false ecomony if I'm in a position in the future to expand further.
Anyone here been in the same or similar position, if not with Buchla, then with other brands, be interested to hear your experiences.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: Buchla users, advice needed.

Postby Dave B » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Arpangel wrote:it really is unique, and there is "nothing" else that sounds like it, it's completely unclassifiable and sometimes you really don't know what you're listening to, acoustic, or electronic

Worth pointing out here that for those who have more traditional analogue gear and are looking for something 'Buchla-esque', there is the Make Noise O Coast which (as it's name suggests) sits in between the east and west coast approaches. It certainly makes some really different sounds from traditional gear. Chevytraveller showed it to Zukan and I and I've never seen Zuke's eyes light up so much ... :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Buchla users, advice needed.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 am

Dave B wrote:
Arpangel wrote:it really is unique, and there is "nothing" else that sounds like it, it's completely unclassifiable and sometimes you really don't know what you're listening to, acoustic, or electronic

Worth pointing out here that for those who have more traditional analogue gear and are looking for something 'Buchla-esque', there is the Make Noise O Coast which (as it's name suggests) sits in between the east and west coast approaches. It certainly makes some really different sounds from traditional gear. Chevytraveller showed it to Zukan and I and I've never seen Zuke's eyes light up so much ... :)

Yes, the Coast is good, I had one for a few weeks. Make Noise are a good alternative to Buchla. They embrace multi-functionality like Buchla, with things like the Maths.
But.....Make Noise doesn't have "that sound" it still has an overwhelming electronic vibe to it, the Buchla doesn't, it's like an acoustic instrument if you want it to be, extremely organic most of the time, it's like you're playing with a rich, twisting snake of complex harmonics.
I guess that's why people still buy Buchla, it's difficult to replicate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgD8nH9uPQ
Arpangel
Frequent Poster