You are here

First Buchla module arrived yesterday...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: First Buchla module arrived yesterday...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Arpangel wrote:This whole scene is extremely nerdy, and it's just a given that you're some sort of electronics wizard too.

Yep... I think that's why they invented all-in-one synths!

On the upside, for every module I/O interface issue, there will be someone making another module that can sort out the interface issue!

So there will be a voltage translation module available somewhere than can convert bipolar control voltages into single-sided ones. You just then need to remember to plug via that converter when patching that module!

But I do agree that it is rather sad and frustrating that there are several different control voltage and gate signal 'standards' to complicate module choice and use so unnecessarily.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:30 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But I do agree that it is rather sad and frustrating that there are several different control voltage and gate signal 'standards' to complicate module choice and use so unnecessarily.

Especially when a single manufacturer like Buchla releases modules that aren't even compatible with their stablemates :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:But I do agree that it is rather sad and frustrating that there are several different control voltage and gate signal 'standards' to complicate module choice and use so unnecessarily.

Especially when a single manufacturer like Buchla releases modules that aren't even compatible with their stablemates :headbang:

Martin

I think it's a matter of no backwards compatibility, if you use all, current, E Series modules you'll be fine. The E series contain a lot of digital electronics, which I think is easily damaged by the earlier analogue modules.
Another problem is the use of "clone" modules, they don't always adhere to Buchla standards, and people buy them because they offer cheaper solutions, but then find out they aern't compatible.........like me!
I bought an extension boat for my Easel, from Samomodular, it's absolutely fine, and a fraction of the cost of a Buchla, but I'm not buying anymore third party modules or clones.
I don't want to have to remember not to do certain things, modular is hugely confusing and time consuming as it is.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Had to use Buchla support, and I have to say, it's excellent, got a reply within 24 hours, and they were friendly and very helpful. It's still obviously a nice personal service, not like the email only corporates which take days to reply.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Well that sounds encouraging!

Did they have any solution for your waveform polarity problem though? (they must have been asked this before).

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 am

Martin Walker wrote:Well that sounds encouraging!

Did they have any solution for your waveform polarity problem though? (they must have been asked this before).

Martin

That's a dodgy one Martin, as all of these clone modules aern't made by Buchla, so they have no duty of support. The negative wave issue is simple, it's a no-no, I'm selling the module. I could go to the trouble of modifying it, but I really haven't got the knowledge or skill.
I had to contact Buchla as I've bought a Twisted Waveform Genertaor, and the Remote Enable light is very confusing, but they cleared that up for me.
The amazing thing about Buchla E series modules is that some have the ability to store the last knob settings, and the preset manager, if you have one, takes it a step further, you can store whole patches.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous