You are here

A new kind of synthesis?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

A new kind of synthesis?

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:23 pm

While I was enjoying a cup of coffee in my kitchen yesterday, I started to think about programming synths. I then had a "lightbulb above the head" thought. I thought to myself wouldn't it be good if someone invented AFMD2 synthesis - combining the strengths of FM from Yamaha, PD from Casio, with a filter, a new kind of filter designed by Dave Smith. Am I crazy, or could this happen?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Re: A new kind of synthesis?

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Sorry to be a downer, but FM and PD are the same thing, and there are already FM/PD synths with analog style filters (eg NI's FM8, Arturia's CZ-V).

Dave Smith hasn't invented any filters that are different from conventional analog filters, although Dave Rossum has some interesting digital filter tech (from the Morpheus, and now used in his Eurorack filter module).

But anyway, no, nothing new.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Or
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/sy77- ... ttons/5757

FM + PCM, admittedly digital (but good-sounding) filters... 1990.

No doubt modern tech could improve on that, perhaps a knobby FM implementation with knobby filters for more hands-on gratification. I haven’t checked out the Yamaha MoDX etc for fear of inspiring more gear lust, but they are probably in that direction.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-modx
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Stickman0_3 wrote:...with a filter, a new kind of filter designed by Dave Smith. Am I crazy, or could this happen?

I'm not aware that Dave Smith has designed any filters for his wonderful Sequential/DSI synth range - he tends to use pre-designed filter chips from companies such as SSM (Solid State Music, used in early Prophets) before moving to CEM (Curtis Electromusic Specialties) for most of the rest.

Martin
Martin Walker