You are here

Any thoughts on the Novation Summit?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Any thoughts on the Novation Summit?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:12 pm

I've seen a few vids on this lately and I have to say it sounds gorgeous. Anyone laid hands on one, or have any thoughts?

Novation themselves: https://youtu.be/cdhNcEiYGiA

Others: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ion+summit

Digital oscillators, analogue filters ... but it's all about the sound and it hits the spot for me. I can see myself being tempted at some point :blush:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Re: Any thoughts on the Novation Summit?

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Can't speak about the Summit, because I haven't seen one yet, but it is essentially two Peaks with a keyboard and... the Peak is one of the best sounding polysynths I've had - and I've had some of the most revered polysynths through my hands.

The oscillators being digitally created certainly don't bother me in the way that it has in other devices. The wavetable option seems to excite some people, though it holds no appeal for me. The power in those three oscillators is immense. Delicacy and immensity is there in spades.

Go try out a Peak and you'll have an idea of the Summit. Remember my pathological hatred of external PSUs? Peak is one of the machines where I am prepared to compromise with gritted teeth, just to have it on hand...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:23 pm

You're not dissuading me much ... but that's what friends are for (sometimes!) :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 am

Yeah but friends know friends only too well and don’t understand the word “enabler”. Which is why I’m telling you to .. you know ... go on ... another one won’t hurt ... it’ll slot right in ...

:mrgreen:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:22 am

I'm with Elf on this, the Peak is fantastic. Every single time I turn it on, I get drawn in, and often into territory I haven't explored yet, and I think that's down to the immediacy of the interface as much as the sound. Many standard synth patches can be made without tickling the menus, but when you do need them, they're simple and intuitive.

If anything, I reckon a 5-oct keyboard is a bit on the small side for the Summit, based purely on my experience with the Peak. 73 or bust. :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby DavyP » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 am

The Elf wrote:t. Remember my pathological hatred of external PSUs? Peak is one of the machines where I am prepared to compromise with gritted teeth, just to have it on hand...

That was funny, made me laugh :clap: :thumbup:

The Summit sounds good from the demo's I've heard of it. Wouldn't mind trying it out as well.

I think it's on general release at the start of September, so I'd imagine it will be in the hands of some of the bribed youtubers soon, who will obviously declare it as the second coming of Christ, but at least we'll get a chance to cast a subjective eye over it :D (after clicking skip ad!)
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am

I've reached out to my usual supplier. The reservation has been made, the deposit has been paid and I'll be getting the first one they get in when it arrives. Looks more like November sometime in their case, but I do like supporting the local dealership when possible so no worries.

:bouncy:

Edit: They just contacted me and said it might be sometime in September after all. We'll see!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DavyP » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:49 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:I've reached out to my usual supplier. The reservation has been made, the deposit has been paid and I'll be getting the first one they get in when it arrives. Looks more like November sometime in their case, but I do like supporting the local dealership when possible so no worries.

:bouncy:

Edit: They just contacted me and said it might be sometime in September after all. We'll see!

It does look good from the demos I've seen so far and I have to confess I also have a pre-order, though I've been in two minds(mainly because I'm skint at the moment!), let's hope we're not disappointed :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Edit: They just contacted me and said it might be sometime in September after all. We'll see!
Can you tell them we'll bribe them with as many Hobnobs as they can eat, if they can get it here in time for the SoSaging?
I know I said space was tight, but exceptions can be made ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RQeGRkeES0

Mmmmmmmmmm .... I can't wait!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DavyP » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RQeGRkeES0

Mmmmmmmmmm .... I can't wait!

It does sound good, you should try out the Mono Station, it has a built in sequencer, it records all the modulations you make, is analogue, you can separate the 2 osc to get differing sounds and will give you a feel for the novation workflow at very little outlay.

I love it!

https://youtu.be/wbJd57wLeGE

https://youtu.be/a1UsEgng74M

https://youtu.be/6IDUfSKKhU4
DavyP
Regular