You are here

Please recommend pre-amp for keyboard- MX88

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Please recommend pre-amp for keyboard- MX88

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:56 pm

blinddrew wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:I am installing this 16 channel Yamaha mixer now!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/MG1 ... l-Mixer.gc
Nice bits of kit those, very clean sound.

I also like that for recording I can route any combination of channels to 8 separate outputs which go to my 8 channel audio interface and on to the DAW. So I have 16 channels of stuff set up in the room and can switch to any combination of these and record 8 simultaneous channels.

And it fits in my 19" rack and sounds great.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Please recommend pre-amp for keyboard- MX88

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:04 am

ef37a wrote:You seem to be sorted now DC but for general I?

The left jack out delivers a mono sum signal if the right jack is not used. This is a pretty standard arrangement for keyboards I think?

Dave.

I here you Dave.

I have the Radial JDI now and have been playing around with it.

The DI box has solved my level problem and I can now get the full 1000 W out of this speaker. Oh dear, It now goes to 12!

The JDI has two inputs and can merge them into the one mic signal output. It only has one output so it can't run stereo into my board but I am now thinking that I don't need to.

I tried it a few different ways into the speaker.

Keyboard Left/Mono plugged in only -> JDI -> Speaker
A bit heavy on the bottom end, a bit muffled on the top, feels like notes poke out.

Keyboard Left and Right both plugged / -> JDI No Merge -> Speaker
No more heavy bottom, or muffled top - sounds clean, but still feels like notes poke out.

Keyboard Left and Right both plugged / -> JDI Merge -> Speaker
No more heavy bottom, or muffled top - sounds clean, notes don't poke out. Sounds and feels good.

So it seems to me that the best sound is to plug both L and R in and merge them in the JDI. I tried all the patches, even the swirly chorusy stuff and they all sound good like this on the MX-88.

The keyboard does seem to know that you have the right jack plugged in because I can hear something change. But still prefer the sound of having both plugged in and summed in the JDI.

It sounds to me like somebody actually made sure that the sounds would all blend nicely into mono. Cool. Thanks for that Yamaha guys!

Honestly 'stereo' makes little sense to me live. I would rather bring one speaker to hear myself and let the sound guy figure out what the audience hears.

For recording, I can add stereo effects to the keyboard if needed. For real stereo, I prefer my Grand piano!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Previous