You are here

Quiz: identify the MIDI gadget

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Quiz: identify the MIDI gadget

Postby Folderol » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Folderol wrote:Quite possible.
If it's a standard MIDI-in it should have just 2 connections, going to pins 4 and 5. It will likely have the shell grounded, and might have pin 2 grounded as well (but it shouldn't).

In case you don't know the numbering of standard 5pin DINs is daft.

It's 'cos a three pin DIN has pins 1, 2 & 3 across 180º then the 5 pin has 4 & 5 in the spaces between them, make perfect sense. I suppose (but I CBA to check) that a 7 pin has 6 & 7 to the left and right (anticlockwise and clockwise 45º) from 1 and 3 respectively)
I know that, and you know that, but it causes endless confusion to the great unwashed, and always was quite unnecessary.
The argument is sometimes made that the three pin version came out before the 5 pin, but it didn't. Also the 5 pin 270deg one has sensible pinning - just to make it more fun.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 am

I think this goes back to the question in that other thread: What have the Germans ever done for us? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 am

There are a number of synths, old and new, that have had only a 25 pin D-sub connector for keyboard connection e.g. the Rhodes Chroma; and this may be an attempt to allow MIDI control of such a device.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:49 am

Folderol wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
Folderol wrote:Quite possible.
If it's a standard MIDI-in it should have just 2 connections, going to pins 4 and 5. It will likely have the shell grounded, and might have pin 2 grounded as well (but it shouldn't).

In case you don't know the numbering of standard 5pin DINs is daft.

It's 'cos a three pin DIN has pins 1, 2 & 3 across 180º then the 5 pin has 4 & 5 in the spaces between them, make perfect sense. I suppose (but I CBA to check) that a 7 pin has 6 & 7 to the left and right (anticlockwise and clockwise 45º) from 1 and 3 respectively)
I know that, and you know that, but it causes endless confusion to the great unwashed, and always was quite unnecessary.
The argument is sometimes made that the three pin version came out before the 5 pin, but it didn't. Also the 5 pin 270deg one has sensible pinning - just to make it more fun.

Standards eh? Oo'd 'av'em.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous