You are here

Bags for modular cabinets

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Bags for modular cabinets

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 pm

OK so my transport to the upcoming Synthfest has fallen through, and I'm going to have to lug my stuff on public transport somehow (or pay a small fortune for a taxi). I'm taking two modular cases. They're wood-framed, larger than Eurorack but not as large as your typical 5U: around 85cm long, 25cm high, and 18cm deep. Not sure about weight, but they'll certainly be hard to carry together very far.

My current thought is, taxi to the station, train to Sheff, taxi to venue. And back again. So, for carrying these things, I've been looking at either two suitably-sized keyboard bags (one horizontally in each hand) or something larger that I could put both cabinets in and drag around, possibly even on wheels.

I'm not meeting with a great deal of success in finding something the right size, but I've never really needed anything like this before and am not familiar with the manufacturers.

Does anybody have any recommendations for what to look for/avoid? I can't spend a lot of money on custom cases etc, but something that won't snap on the way would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: Bags for modular cabinets

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Drum hardware bag thing? Come in a variety of sizes, generally sturdily built, with wheels, and you may even know someone who could lend you one?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 pm

Nathan, your biggest problem is not bags, it is that you intend to carry both units together by yourself. How about if somebody turned up at yours suitably early, with a car and driver, took you and gear to station, travelled by train to Sheffield, then taxi to Octagon, then had a jolly day at Synthfest (which was already planned). Then the same in reverse...

I would have been happy to drive through to Sheffield, but earlier posts suggest that parking isn’t an option, so Mrs B says she’ll drive us to and from Wakefield station. Unless you would prefer to DIY and arrive half-dead
:headbang:

We can talk about bags and timing...
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am

Nathan, on reflection this morning, my suggestion came over quite pushy!

I'll rephrase. if you would like some assistance, you would be very welcome to it, as I am going anyway :)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 am

There's a good chance that I'll be there early in the morning so I may be able to grab you guys from the station then head over. I park over the road anyway usually so it's not a problem. Feel free to give me a PM when it gets closer.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Folderol » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am

The Octagon has a loading bay at the back, so you can drive right up to it within a designated time slot.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 pm

BillB wrote:Nathan, on reflection this morning, my suggestion came over quite pushy!

I'll rephrase. if you would like some assistance, you would be very welcome to it, as I am going anyway :)

Haha! Consider yourself PM'd :)
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.