You are here

A most short live experiment...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

A most short live experiment...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:32 am

My Buchla adventures are taking a major u-turn...I'm getting out straight away, or, at least putting the brakes on. The very stark reallity, is, and a lot of people do say this, is that the Music Easel is best left to its own devices "ITS A STAND ALONE SOLO INSTRUMENT" and it works best in that role, full stop.
I bought a small boat, and couple of extra Buchla modules, but they've proved a major distraction, and haven't really complimented the Easel.
I'm keeping my Easel, it's become part of me, but I'm not buying anymore modules, it's not worth it creatively, and more importantly, I'm not prepared to invest further money, to fill my boat would take around £5,000 and that's only for three modules, totaly ridiculous.
Sometimes it takes ages to judge an idea, but this has taken no time at all, it's blatantly obvious, some synths are just right as they are, others that spring to mind instantly are the EMS Synthi, ARP2600, and Mini Moog, these along with the Easel are what I would call desert island synths, if you could only take one.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: A most short live experiment...

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:13 am

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry it's come to this so soon, but as you say it's better to have made this decision early on before too much money disappeared into the dream ;)

And well done you for being so decisive! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:04 pm

I bought a Nord Modular with a view to creating my own patches, likewise later with Reaktor, but in truth I’m a preset user who’ll use what I find or modify something that’s ‘almost there’.
MOF
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Same here - minor tweak a preset then maybe mangle with cool fx.
I just get lost down that rabbit hole of tweaking and find so much crap and cool stuff that I lose sight of why I tweaked in the first place.
I think the Buchla encourages major tweak mode and you eventually do find that cool patch but 3 days have somehow gone by and you are still in your pajamas! And it was worth it!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:26 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Same here - minor tweak a preset then maybe mangle with cool fx.
I just get lost down that rabbit hole of tweaking and find so much crap and cool stuff that I lose sight of why I tweaked in the first place.
I think the Buchla encourages major tweak mode and you eventually do find that cool patch but 3 days have somehow gone by and you are still in your pajamas! And it was worth it!

I think I may end up keeping my Buchla modules, they are extremely difficult to sell, as the market is so small. Add to this the high initial purchase price, and it really is a major risk unless you're made of money.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster