You are here

Transfering Sequencer Data

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Transfering Sequencer Data

Postby matt222 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I have several floppy disks that contain valuable sequence data for my Akai ASQ10

Because I was using an original unit that recently developed a faulty disk drive, these disks have been damaged and therefore contain damaged files that won't last much longer

What's tending to happen is I get a few successful loads and plays until the screen reads ' This file contains damaged data and possibly the entire disk is damaged - please use other disk'

I am in the fortunate position of having a 'new' ASQ10 with new working disk drive so I plan to have the old unit transfer the sequences over to the new unit via MIDI.

Am I correct in thinking that MIDI data within the old sequencer when transferred over to the new sequencer should be fine and store well to new disks. Or can the MIDI data itself be permanently weakened for good?

in other words, will moving weak data off dodgy floppies be OK once transferred from one hardware sequencer to the other that has a good disk drive?

I hope I make sense on this...………..
matt222
Regular

Re: Transfering Sequencer Data

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 pm

If you can read the data off the floppies and transfer it to the new machine that doesn't have a damaged drive, you should be good to go.

MIDI sequence files are data - there is no 'weakening' involved. If you can read it, it's good. Assuming you can read it at all, the worst you can expect to experience is that some portions of the sequence may be corrupted in some way and require manual fixing up, but assuming you get something playable into the new machine, it's all rainbows and unicorns from then onwards.

If the floppies are not a proprietary format (many old systems used DOS which is still eminently readable on pretty much anything with a drive) then you could back the data up onto a modern PC using nothing more than a cheap USB floppy drive.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby matt222 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 pm

What's tending to happen is I get a few successful loads and plays until the screen reads ' This file contains damaged data and possibly the entire disk is damaged - please use other disk'

I'm using brand new double sided High density disks, though the original recommended disk is Double sided - Double density

I can get he sequences into the unit but I don't get many goes before they start failing, so I hope once into the new unit and saved to new disks in a good drive, the problems should go away

What concerns/baffles me is that I can load the data into the new unit from the disks, the sequencer will play them perfectly and I then save to new disks. But still they fail after a few load -ups

The Roger Linn page reads as follows: If after cleaning or replacing your disk drive you still have trouble reading certain old disks, it may be because these disks are old or were saved to from a dirty or worn-out disk drive, causing the information on the disk to be weak. In this case, it may be impossible to retrieve the disk information.
matt222
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 am

If your load-ups are failing in the "new" machine, then that also has a faulty disc drive. It's just not as bad as the "old" one.

I'd suggest upgrading to a HxC floppy emulator (google it). No more moving parts, and massive storage (in your case, you'll probably never take out the SD card from the sequencer!) But you'll need a PC and a bit of a learning curve to get your data off your old discs and onto the SD card. Floppy emulators are very popular now, and widely support equipment like yours. I have one in my Casio FZ-1, it's fantastic.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:50 pm

matt222 wrote:I'm using brand new double sided High density disks, though the original recommended disk is Double sided - Double density

I seem to remember that the high density disks used a slightly different magnetic coating that required a stronger magnetic field to record properly. So your disk drives may not be recording the disks properly. Using HD disks on a DD drive is something that would often work but not always.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:59 pm

James Perrett wrote:
matt222 wrote:I'm using brand new double sided High density disks, though the original recommended disk is Double sided - Double density

I seem to remember that the high density disks used a slightly different magnetic coating that required a stronger magnetic field to record properly. So your disk drives may not be recording the disks properly. Using HD disks on a DD drive is something that would often work but not always.

+1

I've experienced this in the past. While using an HD in a DD drive will almost always work, I have had more than one experience whereby the resulting floppies do not remain readable for as long as DD ones do. Fortunately I only used them for backup purposes when it became cheaper to by HD than DD and the originals are still readable to this day.

A floppy emulator, though sometimes annoyingly hard to install and configure, is definitely worth trying out. I've got one in my Korg Trinity and although it's not quite perfect insofar as I've not figured out how to make it detect disk changes, it means that I've been able to use a £15 USB floppy on my PC to read off all the files from the old diskettes and put them on a USB stick, with backups on the PC.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby matt222 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Perhaps making copies of disks with damaged data is causing the continuing problems?

I've transferred the data from one sequencer into the other and saved to new disks. Hopefully these should survive...……..
matt222
Regular