You are here

Roland X and XM

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland X and XM

Postby Zukan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

So, we have the Jupiter XM but the X will not be available until April 2020.

I am looking forward to this but, as with all Roland creations, my worry is they will drop it later like they have done with so many of their innovative products.

So, we have the Jupiter XM but the X will not be available until April 2020.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/jupiter-xm/
Zukan

Re: Roland X and XM

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm

hmmm....

I saw this earlier and still think "hmmmm.....". The XM is obviously a toy - wall wart, no aftertouch ... so you've got to wonder what else they've skimped on. I am not holding my breath.

The X is slightly more interesting : proper power and aftertouch are good. But .. they can tell you how big it is and how much current it draws, but don't tell you much about the sound generation or the polyphony.. There's lots of references to classic Roland names .. but no meat about how it's making the noise. I think it's the Supernatural engine and a system 8 in one box.

So, all in all .... hmmmm....

In other news, they've re-released the Boutique Juno thingy and it now has a Juno 60 model. Yay! But still only 4 voice polyphony. Huh??

Roland giveth. Roland taketh away...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Personally I found the website quite irritating. Lots and lots of fluffy over-the-top marketing bumpf and posed imagery but virtually nothing about the detailed specs.

Synths without aftertouch won't be attracting any of my money, that's for sure. I've not liked anything from Roland for years and this looks to be no exception.

Bah humbug!

Regarding the Jupiter X, according to Sweetwater it does have aftertouch, but I feel myself strangely untempted. I'll be much more excited to see what Berry does on the Jupiter 8 front.

Other fragments of info on the X: 256 note polyphony (up to 32 available for modelling of classic JX-8P and Jupiter 8 sounds), 5 parts. 61 keys. :yawn:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

New Roland Jupiters!

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Couldn't care less about the XM, but the X looks promising, even if it is digital. This may just be the synth that the System 8 should have been!

https://youtu.be/unM9orpHVkU

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: New Roland Jupiters!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:56 pm

If you get one, or spend some time on one, I'd be very interested in your appraisal of it. I'm currently finding myself a bit 'meh' with all things Roland but it would be nice to be proven wrong tbh!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:03 pm

This is a nicer form factor than the System 8 imo, but it's a shame it's not ACB modelled, it's just the same old digital XV/Fantom/Supernatural engine more or less...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:08 pm

desmond wrote:This is a nicer form factor than the System 8 imo, but it's a shame it's not ACB modelled, it's just the same old digital XV/Fantom/Supernatural engine more or less...
If it's not ACB, then it's another mighty shotgun blast through the tattered Roland foot. I haven't seen anything to say one way or another. Can you point me to more info?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:13 pm

The Elf wrote:
desmond wrote:This is a nicer form factor than the System 8 imo, but it's a shame it's not ACB modelled, it's just the same old digital XV/Fantom/Supernatural engine more or less...
If it's not ACB, then it's another mighty shotgun blast through the tattered Roland foot. I haven't seen anything to say one way or another. Can you point me to more info?

Yes, David from Roland talks about this on the SonicState Xm video.
It's not ACB, it's basically the Supernatural rompler engine, perhaps with some additions (which are non-specific at this stage). Hence the 256-note poly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYBoie35m0
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:13 pm

The most info I've found so far is here ... but details are a bit sketchy. It talks about a ZEN-core sound engine, though I know nothing about that technology.

Also, at first glance, I'd say it's well overpriced if those figures are correct (the cited MSRP is $3,249.99).
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pm

If this is a ROMpler, then this could be Roland's greatest folly to date.

I'll watch with interest...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:22 pm

That figure of 32 modelled voices would suggest that it has the ACB engine running as well as the Supernatural. So it might be a vaguely interesting synth.

So in about 5 years time, when it's been abandoned by Roland and is worth peanuts, could be a nice thing to pick up s/h ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:02 pm

Dave B wrote:That figure of 32 modelled voices would suggest that it has the ACB engine running as well as the Supernatural. So it might be a vaguely interesting synth.

Nope, no ACB. I'm not sure where this "32" voice number is coming from, but it was misleading to me as well.

The engine is a variant of Roland's existing rompler engines - Supernature, XV etc. This is how they get ("up to") 256 voices. Someone's already checked out the parameter lists to compare...

From all accounts basically a second generation of the previous Jupiter 80 - except they've made it look even more like a JP8 now (I thought they realised after the backlash on the Jupiter-80 that this wasn't a good idea?).

Whether it has modelled oscillators or not we don't know yet, they might just be sampled. The ad blurb goes on about vintage JX8Ps and Jupiter 8s etc but no-one really knows what the marketing blurb actually means yet...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 pm

desmond wrote:
Dave B wrote:That figure of 32 modelled voices would suggest that it has the ACB engine running as well as the Supernatural. So it might be a vaguely interesting synth.

Nope, no ACB. I'm not sure where this "32" voice number is coming from, but it was misleading to me as well.

I got that figure from Sweetwater on this page but they have heavily edited it since this morning and removed that reference (I note they also added some more markety bumpf about onboard drum machines: TR-808, 909, 707, 727, 606, CR-78).

I'm guessing someone at Sweetwater revealed a little too much and they are now reeling that back in, but unless there was a major misunderstanding the Jupiter X has 256 voices of polyphony of which 32 are available for the reproduction of the classic synths I mentioned before which would strongly infer that there is a different sound engine behind those voices.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John F » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 pm

It's wall wart free. Kettle lead power. That alone is worth it.
John F
Regular
Keyboard player at HyperActive80s band.  https://www.facebook.com/hyperactive80s/ Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland JP6

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 pm

John F wrote:Kettle lead power

I'm going to jump in before Hugh does here!

They aren't kettle leads, they are C13/C14 connectors. 'Kettle' leads with the groove in them are C15/C16 connectors and are spec'd for higher operating temperatures ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
John F wrote:Kettle lead power

I'm going to jump in before Hugh does here!

They aren't kettle leads, they are C13/C14 connectors. 'Kettle' leads with the groove in them are C15/C16 connectors and are spec'd for higher operating temperatures ;)
Sorry, Eddy, you can't defeat the incoming tide. I don't even bother to try these days :(

Oh, and at that price the unit it right outside my budget anyway, so I'll just have to pretend those grapes are sour!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby John F » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:47 pm

.. but if you say Kettle Lead every musician in the country knows what you mean.
John F
Regular
Keyboard player at HyperActive80s band.  https://www.facebook.com/hyperactive80s/ Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland JP6

Postby AndyN » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 pm

I was feeling quite excited by it all until I read this thread.

I'm off to GS where there's much less moaning :round1:

Andy
AndyN
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 pm

John F wrote:.. but if you say Kettle Lead every musician in the country knows what you mean.

Doesn't mean they're right though :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:43 pm

AndyN wrote:I'm off to GS where there's much less moaning :round1:

I think we like to keep things accurate here as opposed to jumping on PR bandwagons but of course at the end of the day it's your money you're spending, so if you like it, buy it. If having bought it you're still happy then I'm all for it and would say you made the right decision :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next