You are here

Roland X and XM

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Roland X and XM

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:10 am

I notice that the new successor to the Fantom range (cunningly called .... wait for it .... Fantom) seems to also have the Zen engine for it's sound generation. So it looks like the new Jupiter X/XM seem to be nicely packaged versions of the Fantom without all the extras.

It is also worth pointing out that the _sound_ of the Jupiter 80 was never in question - even Gordon Reid sang it's praises (and it's as far away from an obscure 70s string machine as you can get so he must genuinely have liked it). So I don't necessarily have anything against a nicely packaged supernatural synth...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am

The JP-80 does everything well, apart from VA. The aliasing in the top couple of octaves is shameful, and Roland should have sorted that out before it went out the door.

I really like the System 8, but it lacks aftertouch (at least as a MIDI output - I can forgive it not responding to AT), an octave of keyboard (I'm weary of this four-octave nonsense), internal PSU and a decent body shell.

I was REALLY hoping the Jupiter X, short of being a true/hybrid analogue, was the 'System 16' - ACB on steroids. I thought "Roland have finally sorted it out - they're back!" But it appears not. If not analogue, then it really is the shell that an ACB power-synth deserves. But no. What a crying shame.

At least with the JP-80 it looked significantly different to the old JP-8, though naming it a 'Jupiter' was a travesty that set them up to fail, IMO. Apart from the pitiful 1990s quality of VA it's a decent sample-based synth... but it isn't what we wanted. This time they've gone for a form VERY close to the JP-8, yet STILL it isn't a 'Jupiter' as we know and love them. I can hear the gnashing of teeth and lifting of pitchforks.

With what they are doing at the moment, Roland are inviting Behringer into their palace to take their crown - and handing out champagne at the door.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 am

As to the XM...

What is this obession with putting anything other than a 'normal' keyboard on synths these days? It's not minikeys, so they can't use the 'space' excuse. Inventing a whole new keyboard form cheaper than dropping an existing one in there? Nah!

And those teeny, tiny wheels?! Really?

That price begins to look very steep.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 am

To avoid duplication of comments I've merged the two Roland Jupiter & X/XM threads into this combined one.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John F » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 am

I think Roland have got in quickly hoping to detract from any Behringer Jupiter. Keep everyone waiting months and hope to slowdown any sales from a copycat synth..
John F
Regular
Keyboard player at HyperActive80s band.  https://www.facebook.com/hyperactive80s/ Current live keyboards - Kurzweil PC3x - Korg Triton Extreme + Moss - Roland JP6

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:28 pm

If Behringer deliver the true analogue that's expected I don't think there will be much waiting around for Roland!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Roland is very disappointing these days. If they have any innovative engineers left, they may jump ship to Behringer’s new Japanese center.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:24 pm

At the risk of contradicting myself and being a bit controversial...

... I'm not unimpressed with the latest Fantom from what I've seen and heard of it so far. A mate of mine just bought one and I am looking forward to getting some hands-on time with it.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Same here. That Fantom looks very nice indeed, and not trying to pretend to be anything it isn't. I'm very interested in it and would appreciate your thoughts if you get some time with it.

Hoping there's one at Synthfest!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:56 pm

:thumbup:

I'll report back. I am abroad for the coming 2 weeks but will be heading over to my friend's (and, as it turns out, we're forming a bit of a band.. but that's another story!) as soon as I get back. There will certainly be audio and quite possibly some video of proceedings and if things align then the Novation Summit will be present also!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby cixelsyd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:24 pm

AndyN wrote:I was feeling quite excited by it all until I read this thread.

I'm off to GS where there's much less moaning :round1:

Andy

As a long time member of gs I can assure you there will always be more more moaning on gs interspersed with uncivility and a lot of speculation. My view is that gs won’t be happy with a Roland Jupiter product until it’s a full analog reproduction of the 8.

Ymmv
cixelsyd
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 am

cixelsyd wrote:As a long time member of gs I can assure you there will always be more more moaning on gs interspersed with uncivility and a lot of speculation.

As a non-member of GS, but with the unhappy experience of accessing the occasional thread there for research purposes I can assure same :angel:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby AndyN » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm

cixelsyd wrote:As a long time member of gs I can assure you there will always be more more moaning on gs interspersed with uncivility and a lot of speculation. My view is that gs won’t be happy with a Roland Jupiter product until it’s a full analog reproduction of the 8.

I’m sorry. I was being flippant. I am well aware that GS is the worst place for negativity, which is why I said it. I think I was having a bad day. When I saw the pictures coming through on my phone I thought ‘ooh – a five octave full size keyboard, a proper power supply, it’s not a lurid green colour, proper knobs and sliders that look like they won’t fall off on a gig. That ticks loads of boxes that have been an issue for many. Then I looked on the forum and ‘oh dear’. I can see a few things that could be an issue but nothing is perfect. It doesn’t matter to me whether the price is worth it or not as I can’t justify spending that sort of money anyway. Looking forward to the SOS review. :thumbup:
AndyN
Regular

Postby cixelsyd » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:00 am

AndyN wrote:
cixelsyd wrote:As a long time member of gs I can assure you there will always be more more moaning on gs interspersed with uncivility and a lot of speculation. My view is that gs won’t be happy with a Roland Jupiter product until it’s a full analog reproduction of the 8.

I’m sorry. I was being flippant. I am well aware that GS is the worst place for negativity, which is why I said it. I think I was having a bad day. When I saw the pictures coming through on my phone I thought ‘ooh – a five octave full size keyboard, a proper power supply, it’s not a lurid green colour, proper knobs and sliders that look like they won’t fall off on a gig. That ticks loads of boxes that have been an issue for many. Then I looked on the forum and ‘oh dear’. I can see a few things that could be an issue but nothing is perfect. It doesn’t matter to me whether the price is worth it or not as I can’t justify spending that sort of money anyway. Looking forward to the SOS review. :thumbup:

All good. FWIW these days I rarely go by anything on the internet except for maybe a SOS review. :D Anyway my point is that there is so much disinformation on the web these days I try to check new stuff out in person. Of course this isn’t always possible. I love the look of the Jupiter x. I really do but.......I honestly think I’d go for the system 8 instead. The Jupiter 8 in that is pretty close to my ear. I already have an Integra 7 though and can’t justify yet another Roland re release of the Jupiter 8.
cixelsyd
New here

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:09 am

cixelsyd wrote:I love the look of the Jupiter x. I really do but.......I honestly think I’d go for the system 8 instead. The Jupiter 8 in that is pretty close to my ear.
I sold my Jupiter 8, and the System 8 has become a good replacement, but... I wouldn't get hung up on the JP8 plug-out. The S8 sounds so close to a JP8 in its default state that I never find myself going to the JP8 model - with all the benefits of a more flexible architecture.

But how good it would have been to have that S8 engine inside that Jupiter X chassis?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous