You are here

Roland JU06A

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Roland JU06A

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:31 pm

The Jupiter XM costs over 1300 quid. Three octaves of minikeys, miniwheels, no aftertouch, external PSU and built-in speaker.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm

very rich hobbyists?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:50 pm

blinddrew wrote:very rich hobbyists?
:lol:

Very rich hobbyists with no house-room for a full-sized keyboard.

Should sell well in Monaco... :smirk: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am

The Elf wrote:Should sell well in Monaco... :smirk: ;)

Or Japan.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:14 pm

The Elf wrote:The Jupiter X seems worth a look, but why take a step back from full ACB for this one when the hardware seems finally worthy of it?

What's the step back? I thought it was an improvement on the System 8 (which I thought was a wonderful synth apart from the silly keyboard on it) in that it has the "plugouts" "pluggedin" permanently?

I'm a different sort of curmudgeon though LOL, because: What about those of us who like the weighted controller we have and would rather have desktop modules stacked up nicely on the A stand with it, and not loads of crappy semi-weighted keyboards?

And in defence of Roland: they have the Aerophone. There's a niche product! Brave.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:30 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
The Elf wrote:The Jupiter X seems worth a look, but why take a step back from full ACB for this one when the hardware seems finally worthy of it?

What's the step back? I thought it was an improvement on the System 8
It is a simplified version of the System 8 engine - but uses the processing saved to do more things at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:52 am

I had a quick chat with the Roland reps about the 4-voice limitation of the JU06A (and others in the Boutique range) at Synthfest.

The reason for the 4-voice limit was cited as being the limit of the processor, and to add more voices would require a second processor. Consequently this would mean a larger case and higher price (I can also imagine that it might require more power than a USB connection could provide - just my thoughts, not the rep's).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be happy with these consequences...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:01 am

I have always loved Roland products. They have always been innovative yet flawed to a certain degree. My gripes with Roland are more to do with them dropping products after release and not continuing with interesting technologies.

I tried to visit Roland and Korg at the Fest and each time I walked into the demo rooms and saw the products they had created for 8 year old kid fingers I walked straight out. It's a shame because there were some interesting products I wanted to try out.
Zukan

Postby modonnell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 pm

Does anyone know how to turn off the chorus sound on the JU-06A. There seems to be a way to turn the chorus off on the 06 but can’t find a way for the 06A. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Mark
modonnell

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm

It has physical buttons to turn the chorus on or off, just before the Delay setting.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

WHY ROLAND WHY????

Postby synthartist69 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Roland did a good job on the sound in the JU 06A but they need to produce a 6, 8, 12 or 16 voice version with 61 keys. The look of it is excellent already, just make it bigger. Not sure what arp options it has but it needs to have a random option like the Jupiter 4 and 8 had. I would be a buyer but I cannot buy a tiny 4 voice version.
synthartist69

Re: WHY ROLAND WHY????

Postby Dave B » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:12 pm

synthartist69 wrote:Roland did a good job on the sound in the JU 06A but they need to produce a 6, 8, 12 or 16 voice version with 61 keys. The look of it is excellent already, just make it bigger. Not sure what arp options it has but it needs to have a random option like the Jupiter 4 and 8 had. I would be a buyer but I cannot buy a tiny 4 voice version.

+1 - if they had put 2 or three into a similar sized case as the original, with the same controls, I have had one like a shot. But they didn't. And I know that other, more respected synth heads made the same comment and the Roland reps just sighed ...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Dave B wrote:+1 - if they had put 2 or three into a similar sized case as the original, with the same controls, I have had one like a shot.

Agreed, and no need for a keyboard either.
This MIDI thing is quite well established, I hear. :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:59 am

BillB wrote:
Dave B wrote:+1 - if they had put 2 or three into a similar sized case as the original, with the same controls, I have had one like a shot.

Agreed, and no need for a keyboard either.
This MIDI thing is quite well established, I hear. :headbang:

I’m giving up on keyboard synths now, there’s no point, a good 8 octave master keyboard not only opens up new sonic possibilities with some synths, but in the long run, it actually saves space. You don’t need weighted hammer action either, just a normal synth style keyboard, like the M-Audio at under £200 will do fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous