You are here

Desktop Keyboard Stand

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Desktop Keyboard Stand

Postby markkeen001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to source a two or three tier DESKTOP keyboard stand. I live in a place that is small and I am not allowed to puncture the walls. I have a keyboard desk with plenty of room on the desk top surface. What I am looking for is something like a normal floor standing stand, but can be sat on a desktop instead. I have tried placing a normal stand behind the desk but it makes the keyboards too far away and takes up too much room. Do you know of such a unit, please?
markkeen001

Re: Desktop Keyboard Stand

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi Mark, welcome to the SOS Forum. Just wanted to let you know that the lack of reply is not because folk here don’t care. I suspect the answer to you question ‘do you know of...’ is no!

Sounds like you might need to make something yourself, if you are any good at wood chopping? Perhaps decent ply sides, with battens where you want the shelves, then ply shelves with a front piece to stop the keyboards sliding off and to prevent the shelves from sagging...

Can’t think of anything else you could re-purpose, unless you chop the legs off a Jaspers 2 or 3 tier keyboard stand. Good luck, and let us know if you come up with an answer.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:31 pm

What you could do is get a desk with a slide out keyboard shelf, you'd have one keyboard underneath, and the other on the table, if you wanted another layer just add one of those IKEA desk shelves to it, you'd probably have to chop it down a bit though.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:42 pm

markkeen001 wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to source a two or three tier DESKTOP keyboard stand. I live in a place that is small and I am not allowed to puncture the walls. I have a keyboard desk with plenty of room on the desk top surface. What I am looking for is something like a normal floor standing stand, but can be sat on a desktop instead. I have tried placing a normal stand behind the desk but it makes the keyboards too far away and takes up too much room. Do you know of such a unit, please?
I'd be tempted to rustle something up myself. I've been amazed by some of the ingenious devices I've seen others make from something as humble as a few bits of corrugated cardboard. If you get a design that works for you then you could get it made in acrylic - something I've done myself a couple of times - it's not as expensive as you may think.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby markkeen001 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have come up with a solution - an extendable shoe rack from Amazon @ £16.00.

KNIGHT 3 Tier Shoe Rack Extendable & Stackable Chrome Finish (L)62-113cm x (W)23cm x (H)51cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014UYPWQI/ ... KDbXWJC0CJ

I bought it and have tried it out with three 49 key keyboards and it works fine. I recommend it to anyone!
markkeen001

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Improvise, adapt, overcome! :clap: :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Wow, that’s a very cool solution - thanks for sharing.

Thank goodness some folks like to collect shoes like we like to collect synths. There are some nice options on that page - got me wondering if I can squeeze any more synths in..... :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am

Interestingly, there was a new stand maker at SynthFest which was modular, scalable and even had table top versions. Looked quite sturdy and they had some really cool stuff that bolted onto standard x stands as well - including a 19” rack mount for the front. Which is a really cool idea that I could have done with a couple of years back.

Like a fool, I’ve lost the card that I grabbed - but Eddie D has their details. Hopefully, he can supply a link :bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BillB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 am

BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am

That's them. I was massively impressed - order going to be placed...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:12 am

I too was very impressed... those things are beautiful.

Sales director is Glenn Crosley and the contact address is ams-at-obelisquedesign-dot-co-dot-uk

Had a good chat to him at the show and he told me that those stands will scale up well, and they have additional options which weren't present at the show but would be strong enough to support something like a Korg Kronos 88.

They also do a wall-mounted option, with vertical rails that you attach to the wall (brick or solid masonry) then you can attach arms to it to hold the keyboard(s). These arms are adjustable for angle too, and according to him it's possible to route wires down inside the extrusions as well.

They will also make stands to custom sizes based on your requirements.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:37 am

Wow - now those do look most impressive, and extremely well thought through in design terms.

Bravo Obelisque Design - bookmarked for future reference :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:09 am

Am I missing something?

The weight limits specified for the Major strand says 9kg for the 1st tier and and just 5kg for the second.

That rules out two of my keyboards for the 1st level, and all of them for the second...

Hmmm....

Nice idea... shame about the practicality!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 am

Yeah, these aren't about the hefty workstations - more about all those annoying mini-synths we are currently plagued with. I do have some of those little monsters and being able to rack, clamp and tier them will be a blessing.

They did have a demo X-stand showing some of the more complex setups, but it was a DJX Mk2 on the lowest tier! That said, the little bits you can concoct for overhanging iPads, laptops, mixers, controller surfaces and the like really are very clever in design, especially with the little lips and flanges that kept things in place.

In short it really is good kit, but maybe not for the heavyweight brigade!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:27 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Am I missing something?

The weight limits specified for the Major strand says 9kg for the 1st tier and and just 5kg for the second.

That rules out two of my keyboards for the 1st level, and all of them for the second...

Hmmm....

Nice idea... shame about the practicality!

According to Glenn, they have chunkier extrusions available and can do larger custom stands to handle workstations.

When I asked him if it would take the likes of a Kronos 88 and Yamaha XS8 he said that was doable, so if in doubt I'd ask them directly because it seems they can do a lot more than they are showing online, or showed at Synthfest!

He did say that if you wanted to mount a CS-80 then you should probably look elsewhere, but for 'normal' modern workstations they may well be able to accomodate if you ask and they are welcoming of custom requirements in general.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:53 am

Ah. okay. I didn't get a chance to see them at the show and didn't realise they were intended for toy keyboards ;-)

Interesting that they will do custom jobs for real instruments, though -- I'll explore further. Thanks.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes, I spoke to the engineers too and they said they could feasibly go up to 1.9 metres per rail. The way they have integrated things like rack mounting brackets with keyboard stand support and even ways to accommodate cabling was all very well thought out. Definitely keeping an eye on these.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.