You are here

Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Bewdy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi I have just purchased a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth midi interface to connect my iPad with my NI Komplete Kontrol, wow what a cool piece of technology!!

The only limitation of the Yamaha device it seems is that it requires both a midi in and out to function. So the quest I have at the moment is to find a more portable keyboard than my S61 for popping on my lap, or for taking to rehearsals. I’m not into mini keyboards at all, so it has to be full size keys, minimum two octaves, but three would be ideal.

Something older to be found on eBay would be perfect, any suggestions? it HAS to have both MIDI in and out. Which is where the problem lies, as there’s a lot out there with just USB or Midi OUT only.
Bewdy
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:22 pm

What about something like the IK Multimedia iRig Keys 2 Pro? Full size keys and it plugs straight into the iPad - so actually no need for Bluetooth or MIDI at all, though you can do it that way if you really want.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12713
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Samson Carbon series? Also plugs straight into the pad.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Bewdy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:04 pm

Arpangel wrote:Samson Carbon series? Also plugs straight into the pad.
Thanks looks like the carbon needs a camera kit for the ipad. Which I'd like to avoid, because they are pricey.

Not sure about iRig's connection re: lightning connector (and little bit pricey), but I'm looking into it, thanks for the suggestions.

The Roland A-300 looks promising also
Bewdy
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Bewdy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Samson Carbon series? Also plugs straight into the pad.
Thanks looks like the carbon needs a camera kit for the ipad. Which I'd like to avoid, because they are pricey.

Not sure about iRig's connection re: lightning connector (and little bit pricey), but I'm looking into it, thanks for the suggestions.

The Roland A-300 looks promising also

I've also got an IK i RIg and it has a lead that plugs straight in, without a kit adaptor, the lead comes with it.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Bewdy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Bewdy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Samson Carbon series? Also plugs straight into the pad.
Thanks looks like the carbon needs a camera kit for the ipad. Which I'd like to avoid, because they are pricey.

Not sure about iRig's connection re: lightning connector (and little bit pricey), but I'm looking into it, thanks for the suggestions.

The Roland A-300 looks promising also

I've also got an IK i RIg and it has a lead that plugs straight in, without a kit adaptor, the lead comes with it.

Do you have this one? https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys37pro/
Will this plug in directly to an iPad without the camera kit?
Bewdy
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Bewdy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Bewdy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Samson Carbon series? Also plugs straight into the pad.
Thanks looks like the carbon needs a camera kit for the ipad. Which I'd like to avoid, because they are pricey.

Not sure about iRig's connection re: lightning connector (and little bit pricey), but I'm looking into it, thanks for the suggestions.

The Roland A-300 looks promising also

I've also got an IK i RIg and it has a lead that plugs straight in, without a kit adaptor, the lead comes with it.

Do you have this one? https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys37pro/
Will this plug in directly to an iPad without the camera kit?

Looks like it's USB only, I've got a lightning to USB socket adaptor, they are very cheap, about £10 or less from Amazon, I've found they work fine, and enable you to connect most USB keybaotds, there's quite a few ways to do this, I'd work to the keyboard like, and take it from there.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:44 pm

That's the one I have and I was told it won't work with an iPad. I've never tried, so can't say for sure.

The product description does avoid any mention of iPad, which I would take to be a warning!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12713
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:49 pm

The Elf wrote:
That's the one I have and I was told it won't work with an iPad. I've never tried, so can't say for sure.

I don't think it does Elf, on the company website it states Mac and PC only.

:frown:
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:54 pm

I just checked the bottom of the product page and it says:
Compatible with iOS (requires optional Camera Connection Kit or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter)
Compatible with Android (requires optional USB-OTG adapter)

So a definite 'maybe'! :lol:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12713
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Bewdy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Turns out that there is iRig Keys PRO which works with the iPad directly. It is the white model. Seems good. Just need to find a good price for it now.

I have a lightning to USB adapter from eBay and the iPad is always moaning about it. It works for about 1 minute then the iPad shuts it down. Tried it with both my S61 and an Akai mini keyboard, neither worked for over a minute. Thats why I’m keen to leave that out. Also it’s just another thing to loose/break!
Bewdy
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Just make sure you get the full-sized keys version! As far as I was aware the white ones are all minikeys? The full-sized black 37 key 'Pro' is the one I have.

As above, the product page actually does seem to suggest mine can be used with iPad, but I can't guarantee it from personal experience, and I was advised that it wouldn't, so... :crazy:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12713
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Small light Midi Keyboard with Midi In & Out

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:30 am

I must admit, my lightning to USB socket adaptor works boringly fine, I've plugged all sorts of USB keyboards into my I Pad with it, and they've always worked, I think I got it from Amazon for about £4?
These things are the luck of the draw though.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users