You are here

Kurzweil PC4

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Kurzweil PC4

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc4/overview/

No un-weighted version, so it's not for me, but looks like a nice incremental of the VAST line. The price is pretty good too.

External PSU - et tu Brute? Seriously?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Kurzweil PC4

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:18 am

You can see where the speakers go when the casing's used for another model.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Zukan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 am

Those that gig are gonna love that external psu.
Zukan

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 am

Yes - it is certainly designed to be the 'little brother' of the range - despite having amazingly droolworthy specs - when compared to the Forte series. The case is plastic so it's light, but may not take much of a battering. I don't think that the keybed is as good as the Forte. And it has an external PSU which is annoying.

But it looks like they've ported the KB3 engine over now so you get 256 voice polyphony and only drop about 90-something to run the organ sim. That's about 30 more than I can get on my Forte. And it has _proper_ inputs this time - hallelujah! I love proper inputs!

My Forte has done sterling work over the last few years that I've had it and now the baby of the range is slightly ahead in some functionality. Which means that in a couple more years, there will be a Forte 2 coming - metal case, psu, all the goodies of the pc4 ... what's not to like?

Apparently, there will be a PC4 at Synthfest. Whilst I'm not looking to buy at the moment, I will give it quite a good thrashing to see what it's like. If it's as good as I think it is, you may need a crowbar to get me from it..

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm

The Elf wrote:http://kurzweil.com/product/pc4/overview/

External PSU - et tu Brute? Seriously?

That really is a ludicrous, there must be so much empty space in that casing, plenty for PSU with a rear panel IEC socket/fuse/switch
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Played one of these at SynthFest. Very nice actually. I also spoke to the Sound Technology guys about it. The plastic case thing is a lose-lose thing for them : Kurz had lots of complaints that the previous models weighed a ton. And now people are moaning about the flimsiness of a plastic case. Lol. Psu is a double whammy - it doesn’t even had an iec lead into the wall wart : it’s a figure 8 one. Boo. But it sounds and feels great to play - the keyboard action felt pretty similar to the Forte one. And the inputs are double - real 1/4” jacks and a 3.5mm as well. Yay.

So all in all I’d say that overall it’s a good bit of kit. Not enough for me to ditch my Forte, but enough to make me narked that mine is lacking good features. I just hope it sells.

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 pm

I thought the case felt very similar to my old Yamaha DJX - i.e. I doubt the corners would survive even a mild case of vertical concussion.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:04 pm

The Elf wrote:I thought the case felt very similar to my old Yamaha DJX - i.e. I doubt the corners would survive even a mild case of vertical concussion.

Surely that's of little concern to an Elf? :angel:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com