You are here

New Misa Kitara-like

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

New Misa Kitara-like

Postby BJG145 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:03 pm

I've always been fascinated by the Misa Kitara, so when I recently came across one being offered for $150 I decided to check it out. It apparently has a hairline crack sending out some rogue (but not unworkable) messages, and it'll accrue some additional fees as it wings its way across the Atlantic. But since the only others I can currently see for sale are £1500+ on eBay and Reverb, I thought it was worth a punt.

I might have pulled the trigger too soon though, because while Googling stuff about it, I came across news that this long-discontinued instrument is getting a 2019 reboot. There's a post on their Facebook page promising more news soon, and there's a page here offering pre-order. (Seems a bit strange; not sure if there's a particular link between Misa Digital and Front End Audio or something.)

I've also realised why the Tri-Bass is more sought-after than the Kitara, having touch-sensitive keys. I haven't yet seen any Kitara videos that impressed me with their musicality, but I did like this Tri-Bass cover...

https://youtu.be/AMaZ4PewbEc

The pre-order page above, while remaining vague about the spec, suggests that it will be possible to switch between Tri-Bass and Kitara necks.

Hmm...intriguing...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: New Misa Kitara-like

Postby BJG145 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Oh...latest update is that I've been sent a refund/cancellation with the explanation that the 'persistent touch' that's manifesting in a corner of the screen due to this slight ding makes it impossible to access most of the menu system.

I think it's an obsolete capacitive touchscreen, though I get the impression these can be repaired in some cases...? I've asked him to stash it in a cupboard while I try and figure out if it's repairable... :thumbdown:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: New Misa Kitara-like

Postby BJG145 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Godammit, another Kitara slips away.

This one was actually the superior Tri-bass masquerading as a Kitara. Instead of the £2000/£3000 listings by Russian and Australian chancers, it was started for a very reasonable £100, and stayed at £104 until the last minute.

Unfortunately, persistent questioning revealed that this one was also suffering from touchscreen problems which might very well have been irreparable. I was daydreaming about junking the discontinued display for a Raspberry Pi-driven substitute screen and then haranguing Folderol for guidance on setting it up, but in the end this broken mess sailed away for £360. :-(

I had to vent my frustration by picking up a broken BeatBuddy Instead. As a bottom-feeder in the music-tech bardos of eBay, I'm developing expert knowledge of characteristic failures and their resolution. (And if the patch doesn't work...well, there's still Folderol...)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)