You are here

need quick help re: glide feature on prophet 6

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

need quick help re: glide feature on prophet 6

Postby slightly » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:39 pm

right now im playing a seq on loop using trigger out of ableton, im trying to come up with a decent patch the seq is based around 2 full bars basically

trying to experiment with glide on, the gilde is great and working while ableton loops the trigger but only for the first bar of the recorded seq on prophet it plays without glide on the second slightly different bar

so have to leave off th at idea now a min.

any reasons why this is not staying on for the full to bars, obviously the glide button light stays on
slightly
Regular

Re: need quick help re: glide feature on prophet 6

Postby The Elf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Take a look in your MIDI editor and see if you've accidentally recorded a portamento on/off toggle somewhere.

CC65 IIRC.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby slightly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi elf sorry for not replying, honeslty i get overwhelmed by bug glitches things not working as they should while everyday trying to come up with something for a tune, so I tend to try and forget about in the moment if not a quick fix

I honeslty thought maybe that was problem, I record clips of midi passages into ableton clip view for forming a song, but Ive since deleted that clip I was using that time,
Ive since created lots of different new clips without the need for portamento but trying again turning of glide on the prophet its the same annoying thing, first two bars of seq have glide then nothing over and over

is there a chance it got "written" to the synth somehow? :oops:
slightly
Regular

Postby slightly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:53 pm

I just relised if I turn up glide fully to a silly amount of prophet the effect is lasting no matter how many notes, its when i turn back down pass 60/70 percent it only lasts first two bars of a seq and not bar 3 and 4 of a seq

thats very strange now
slightly
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:03 pm

Very odd.

First thing is just to check the MIDI data and ensure that the only things in there are note on/offs. Failing that, are there any firmware updates for the synth?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby slightly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:07 pm

pretty sure you dont use ableton, but for me Im looking at a clip(different one to first time post) in ableton within the midi clip, If I show all envelopes, there is nothing only the recorded notes, apart from that I dont know how to check other ways

I will look online maybe tonight for a firmware update in meantime too
slightly
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:09 pm

slightly wrote:I just relised if I turn up glide fully to a silly amount of prophet the effect is lasting no matter how many notes, its when i turn back down pass 60/70 percent it only lasts first two bars of a seq and not bar 3 and 4 of a seq

thats very strange now

It might have to do with the pitches of the notes and the current glide setting. In the Prophet 6 manual it says:

There are four modes that determine how glide behaves.

Fixed Rate (FR): The time to transition between notes varies with the interval between the notes; the greater the interval, the longer the transi-tion time. The glide rate is fixed. This is the default glide mode.

Fixed Rate A (FRA): The same as Fixed Rate, but glide is only applied when playing legato. That is, glide only occurs when a note is held until the next note is played. This effectively allows glide to be turned on and off from the keyboard.

Fixed Time (FT): Glide is set to a fixed time, regardless of the interval between notes.

Fixed Time A (FTA): The same as Fixed Time, but glide only occurs when playing legato.

To select a glide mode:
1. Press and hold the glide switch. The numeric display shows the currently selected Glide mode.
2. To select a different mode, continue to hold down the glide switch then press the bank/decrement and tens/increment switches to step through the other choices.
3. When finished, release the glide switch.

I'm wondering if your glide is set to Fixed Rate Legato (FRA) and only some of the notes in your sequence are long enough to overlap the start of the next ones. Or maybe the default Fixed Rate (FR) mode means that when notes in your sequence are close together in pitch, the glide time is less than when they are further apart and as such you're not noticing it.

I'd check what mode your glide is in, note the expected behaviour, then look at the note lengths and pitches in the sequence to see if they meet the criteria for that mode.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby slightly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:17 pm

I quickly went through these before coming on again today....

u are on to "something"

as since last post, I experiemented and just played the synth manual with fingers with out put to speakers so I did realise if I play mad up and down the keyboard at great distance the glide stays on, so my "middle notes" of seq are too close prob

however, using the choice for this seq of FT for glide I still only get glide for first half of seq

I thought this woulda worked after rereading the glide options

so prob more lost now
slightly
Regular

Postby slightly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I quickly went through these before coming on again today....

u are on to "something"

as since last post, I experiemented and just played the synth manual with fingers with out put to speakers so I did realise if I play mad up and down the keyboard at great distance the glide stays on, so my "middle notes" of seq are too close prob

however, using the choice for this seq of FT for glide I still only get glide for first half of seq

I thought this woulda worked after rereading the glide options

so prob more lost now
slightly
Regular

Postby slightly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:25 pm

legato is playing the next note while last is still held, ya

I just tried the fixed time legato mode
and the fixed rate legato mode, and Im not getting any glide playing basic legato

:headbang:
slightly
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Is each note in your sequence long enough to overlap slightly with the next?
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:47 pm

This is sounding more like a firmware bug all the time. It could be time to contact Sequential, and see what they can suggest.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby slightly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm

checked the firmare/os on the sequential website
mine is up to date

Im convinced now its flakey, seems to have very eratic behaviour
Im going to make a video and contact sequential

its just seems to being working as glide and turn off at times, and with the legato only modes it doesnt play any glide

with fixed time I can get glide but it "disappears"

I was very careful just testing modes and playing notes there again

seems to be obvious flaky now
slightly
Regular

Postby IAA » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:14 pm

Just a thought.

Set an initialised patch on the P6. Switch to mono ( unison) set glide to about 25% play some notes staccato. What happens?
IAA
Regular

Postby slightly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I done as said; I used the hold preset and write to intisalise the "basic patch"

Done as you said, it was working fully
I played stacatto and got glide I even swithched to glide Fixed time for the seqI was trying to play, to get glide on all notes, and it worked no problems

so once unison is on works like should once I turn off unsion there on patch I made agasin, the glide stops working......
slightly
Regular

Postby IAA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:04 pm

I think....it’s a bit of what Eddy/Elf were suggesting if it’s a monophonic sequence make your poly synth mono, make sure no legato notes if you want the glide to be discernible from note to note.

I think the behaviour of the P6 sounds normal in so far as it goes.
IAA
Regular