You are here

Yamaha CP88 warranty (or any yamaha digital piano)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Yamaha CP88 warranty (or any yamaha digital piano)

Postby banterbanter » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:27 am

Hi,

I bought a brand new yamaha CP88 stage piano (boxed, unopened) from a UK eBay store (but to my knowledge, not an approved yamaha dealer).

Will I still have the normal warranty?
The seller reassured me that I would - but reading the yamaha shpeel:

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/warranty/

- I'm not so sure. But in the UK, products have to be free from manufacturering defects for a year anyway by law, and I think that link above refers to the extended warranty (must be signed up for within six months) which I haven't signed up for yet (so someone who buys my CP88 could still do this I think? It's non-transferrable once registered).

Too late to send it back to seller now (it's been about six weeks).

Surely if it was bought brand new and one has the serial number yamaha should honour warranty?

Thanks!
Gav
banterbanter
Regular

Re: Yamaha CP88 warranty (or any yamaha digital piano)

Postby Steve A » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:01 am

Here's my understanding (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer etc):

The thing here is that a manufacturers guarantee is always offered in addition to your statutory rights and is not a legally enforceable consumer right in itself.

This is why guarantees are able to, and do, come subject to a number of conditions, one of which is usually that you bought the item via an authorised UK supplier. One of the reasons they do this is to discourage the practise of grey-importing.

Another condition that is usually imposed is that you are the original purchaser. It might be that some companies respect guarantees if the goods have been sold second-hand during the guarantee period (which might be how goods not sold via an authorised dealer may be viewed) but I would imagine these are the exception rather than the rule.

If indeed you have bought this from a non Yamaha approved UK dealer then for the reasons above I suspect the guarantee is not available you but you would need to speak with Yamaha to confirm.

I'm not sure from your email whether or not you're asking because a problem has arisen. I'm assuming your ebay purchase would be classified as a trade purchase form a business on a 'buy it now' basis and not a private auction. As you say, you are covered by UK consumer protection law in such circumstances if the good are not of a merchantable quality (and whether or not an arbitrary returns period has expired has no bearing on the definition of this) but in this case you would be forced to deal with the vendor who is the party with legal responsibility to set matters right.
Steve A
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 am

I'll basically second what Steve has said. The contract is between you and the seller, so any problems are the seller's responsibility to sort out and fix. The manufacturer's warranty really only comes into play if the seller goes out of business. So you've basically got a six year warranty under current UK law for defective goods or latent defects whilst the seller is still trading.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby banterbanter » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks guys - comprehensive answers, much appreciated.

Nothing wrong with my CP88 - it's only a month old and as new, but just didn't click with it so looking at other options - and I'm researching this because a potential buyer asked me the question.

Yes, it was bought buy it now at an ebay shop.

I think you are incorrect re having to deal with the vender - I have often bought products from, say a High Street store but gone straight to Samsung for issues in the first year. And your washing machine does not have to be bought by an authorised Panasonic dealer, for example.
But I agree, manufactures have the right to set the rules as they wish for extended warranties.

Having just created a support account with Yamaha music - the only requirements to registering a product is the serial number, the date of purchase and whether it was purchased in a shop or online.

So, because I haven't yet done that (and wouldn't have even known about it bar this research! - no extended warranty card in the CP88 box) it seems to me that whoever buys my CP88 can still register as the first person to do so - thereby activating the extended warranty. Agree?

Thanks
Gav
banterbanter
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Is there an extended warranty? Yamaha don't list the product in their list as having one - it only seems to be on certain items.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Steve A » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:47 pm

It's common for goods in certain markets, especially hi-tech, for the vendor to refer you direct to the manufacturer if any after sales service is required.

This is often because the vendor has no after sales servicing agreements with their distributors in place. They are box shifters and that's it. Their contracts with distributors allow for nothing more and in order to minimise cost probably exclude anything to do with warranties. It means if they sell something that turns out to be faulty, tough, the distributor doesn't want to know. So, if for example, you were to return a faulty item to them, they had no means of dealing with it and no means of getting a replacement from the manufacturer. They'd be forced to send you a new one from their own inventory and write the other one off.

That's why they always push you towards the manufacturer. In practice, manufacturers generally respond and deal with such issues but it still the same underlying legal situation - this happens outside of / in addition to your statutory rights, which continue to apply.

And your statutory rights oblige the retailer to make good any problems. That obligation doesn't go away simply because they've said in their blurb that the manufacturer is the only place to deal with it or because they've signed away their capability to deal with it without incurring a loss. Most will fight tooth and nail to prevent taking on the responsibility of dealing with defective goods but if you wanted to make an issue of and force them to, you could.

But in most cases, that's not worth the hassle if the manufacturer has a support network that comes up with a resolution. You'll probably get a result much faster that way.

But what if the manufacturer declines to assist (which Yamaha might do in your example) or has gone out of business?

You're back to dealing with the vendor.
Steve A
Regular