You are here

You know you're old when 5 octave keyboards start to look big...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: You know you're old when 5 octave keyboards start to look big...

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 am

Wonks wrote:But then why do so many MIDI controller keyboards just have a USB port and no hardware MIDI outputs?

Isn't it so you can go splash out on a Kenton MIDI USB Host (or the MkII version)? :D :D :D
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:50 pm

The Elf wrote:And given that we have the 19 inch rack standard, why do we now have so many non-racking 'desktop' modules? I have absolutely *no* 'desktop' space at all, yet people keep telling me how 'convenient' they are! How can any module be 'convenient' that doesn't fit in a standard rack? :headbang:

I'm the other way round on this, I prefer modules to racks as I find it more convenient to have the control surface near the keys/controller. Nothing puts me off like having to rack a synth and finding it impossible to tweak because it's across the room from my master keys. Or having the MIDI round the back so I have to have the computer on to faff around, because my central MIDI interface is bus powered and only works via software.

Keyboard version > module > rack, for me. Modules with detachable rack ears are a good idea though.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Fair point, but once you have three, four, five 'desktop' modules?...

After all, as well as the 'one keyboard, many modules' we've also been sold the 'many modules, one control surface'. In my case I find that my old JP-8080 can be pressed into service as a controller for a great many synths. That means I can rack 'em up and just use the JP-8080 as editor/controller.

In reality even my JP-8080 is racked - when I say I have *no* desktop space I really mean it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:26 pm

When I get tired of not enough octaves I pull out a second keyboard (in my cramped room) and set it to 1 or more octaves higher or lower.
Between the 2 I can get 5 or more octaves and I feel like a rock god! Now if only I can find my spandex and aluminum covered banana. . . .
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:08 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:When I get tired of not enough octaves I pull out a second keyboard (in my cramped room) and set it to 1 or more octaves higher or lower.
Between the 2 I can get 5 or more octaves and I feel like a rock god! Now if only I can find my spandex and aluminum covered banana. . . .
One of those four-octave prog-rock synth licks must be entertaining to watch! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:05 am

Modules just aren't synths for me, I have a couple, but they tend to unique things, not available with keyboards.
It's weird, but a module just doesn't have the mojo that a keyboard synth has.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby wireman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:19 pm

I would hate to be lugging around my old Yamaha P250 nowadays but if I was perhaps 5 octaves would be attractive. But it would have to be a lower pitch range F-F.
wireman
Regular

Previous