You are here

All change.....again.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

All change.....again.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:02 am

Had a good session yesterday, and we said "wouldn't it be great if I had something that did the abstract thing like my Buchla, and the straighter stuff like the DX7, all in one box, with memories" hang on? Anyone want a coffee? I'm going via the basement, back in a minute...
What's that? It's a Novation A-Station, I bought it in 1995, ooooh that sounds cool, just like the Buchla, and that sound is very DX-ish, and....it's got memories too......
The Buchla is still head damaging, OK in a studio environment where you can wait for three hours to see if something amazing pops out, but in the heat of an improv session it's not working for me, the slightest nudge and it's off in a direction you really don't want to go in.
I've got FM8 on the computer, but we all know what computers are like.
I haven't used my A-Station for ages, but yesterday it was perfect in a live situation, and it's realiable, Reaper crashed twice yesterday for no apparent reason, even using the computer for recording is becoming a pain, it really does make me wonder about this whole approach.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: All change.....again.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Looking forward to hearing the fruits of your labour!

When I am writing, improvising, or jamming, I try to keep any computer or tablet as far away as possible. I strap a Tascam DR-1 across the 2-track output of my mixer and record everything as stereo .wav files to be sifted through later. A SD card can easily hold 16 hours of audio at 24/44.1 so it’s got plenty of space for a single session.

Many times that stereo recording ends up being the, or part of the, final product.

Maybe something like that will work for you?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 pm

I’ve often wondered about those people who jam live on electro-monsters with way too many knobs, sliders and a few octopuses worth of cables hanging down.
Do they actually hear the sound in their heads and then just make it happen because their grasp of synthesis is so beyond the rest of us?
Or are they just lucky to get a usable sound?

I’m happy enough when I find a preset that is 90% close to what I’m going for.

:think:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Do they actually hear the sound in their heads and then just make it happen because their grasp of synthesis is so beyond the rest of us?
When I had a Korg MS10 I played around with the PWM control knowing what it would do but the other modulation controls were all down to serendipity.
MOF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:59 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I’ve often wondered about those people who jam live on electro-monsters with way too many knobs, sliders and a few octopuses worth of cables hanging down.

I’m happy enough when I find a preset that is 90% close to what I’m going for.

:think:

A mixture of both, sometimes I know what I'm doing and it turns up, other times I'm really not sure, and I don't like "not sure" the whole thing about "happy mistakes" is rarely true, and I like to be in control.
A good improv session, for me, revolves around a carefully chosen set of sounds and sources, of course, you can't predict what people are going to do, and I never set restrictions based on sounds or equipment, but it's nice to be able to respond with a sound that fits whatever is going on at the time, rather than just treading water or just shutting up until you find something. And that's another major gripe of mine regarding improvisation, sometimes people never know when to shut up, it's actually OK to do nothing, it gives other people room to breath, and it's called "listening"
Arpangel
Frequent Poster