You are here

Sound Design advice/course etc..

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Sound Design advice/course etc..

Postby manuel-TRND » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:27 am

Hi there,

Hope the topic suits the forum.
I've been recording music for a couple of years now, mainly focused on indie/rock-music, so it has all been about recording acoustic instruments or amps with mics and the mixing process after. (Basic work with cutting, overdubbing and the editing after with compressors, reverbs, delays) mostly with cubase and pro tools.

Now a friend asked me to help him to make the sound for his EBook storys. interacive sound design where the task is to built the 3d landscapes and sound effects around a story while the reader is reading the book. Building dramatic/ horror music effects , and auditively guiding the reader through the actions the character is doing. (Steps.. shots.. breaking woods and so on).

The problem is I'm only experienced with what i described above and have absolutely no experience in electronic music/ sound production and processing.
That's why I now want to learn more about it, best would be a guided course/ book or video series..

Anybody here with experience in that area and can recommend something? (YouTube series, online courses, books, articles etc...)
I want to get involved in the project a little deeper and I'm also willing to spent a few month of educating myself in that topic of course.
I know there are school courses for a year or so but thats just over my financial means.

Happy to hear recommendations

Greets!
manuel-TRND
Poster

Re: Sound Design advice/course etc..

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:58 am

i have to be honest... You're not going to go from zero to hero in a couple of days.

But I wonder why you're thinking of electronic sounds for this book you mention? There are plenty of free Foley/FX sites around on the web, so starting there would be expedient for the task at hand.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby forumuser653351 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi, a lot of this is foley - recording footsteps and wood breaking etc. Search for foley in YouTube and check out Peter Burgis who is a UK foley artist.
As the Elf said there are also plenty on sound fx libraries as well, the BBC used to do a whole series of CD's but I imagine there is plenty available online now as well.
I used to record foley professionally and equipment wise you need a sensitive mic and quiet recording chain to pick up all the subtle sounds (and a pad when things get loud!)
Good luck :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby manuel-TRND » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm

The Elf wrote:i have to be honest... You're not going to go from zero to hero in a couple of days.

But I wonder why you're thinking of electronic sounds for this book you mention? There are plenty of free Foley/FX sites around on the web, so starting there would be expedient for the task at hand.
Hi !
Yes true, I bow started experimenting with some free fx packs, which work great.
Thing is that it's also about building creepy/happy atmospheres. Like doomy sounds or creepy synth stuff. U think I'll just go for a midi keyboard and start experimenting with VSTS for a little. :) thx for your help
manuel-TRND
Poster

Postby manuel-TRND » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm

forumuser653351 wrote:Hi, a lot of this is foley - recording footsteps and wood breaking etc. Search for foley in YouTube and check out Peter Burgis who is a UK foley artist.
As the Elf said there are also plenty on sound fx libraries as well, the BBC used to do a whole series of CD's but I imagine there is plenty available online now as well.
I used to record foley professionally and equipment wise you need a sensitive mic and quiet recording chain to pick up all the subtle sounds (and a pad when things get loud!)
Good luck :)

Hi !
Yes true, I bow started experimenting with some free fx packs, which work great.
Thing is that it's also about building creepy/happy atmospheres. Like doomy sounds or creepy synth stuff. U think I'll just go for a midi keyboard and start experimenting with VSTS for a little. :) thx for your help
manuel-TRND
Poster

Postby forumuser653351 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 am

Yes, a MIDI keyboard and soft synths would be great fun to come up with some scary sounds, maybe others who are better with synths can suggest starting points. Good luck.
forumuser653351
Regular