You are here

Not sure where to post this, but usb midi question

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Not sure where to post this, but usb midi question

Postby akaspeedy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi,

Have a usb c thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro, 4 ports of all the same....my symphony mk2 doesn’t have any 5 din midi ports so I purchased an anker multi USB port with its own power brick to connect 2 synths and a drum machine.....all sending usb midi......ran into a problem about 2 mins in to just midi notes playing a sequence to all 3 devices......both synths are mono with no automation data and a drumbrute impact with only 3 lines of on/off note massages, again with no automation....I sequenced a live improv, all filter and other dials were only controlled by my hand yet after about 2 minutes and 45 seconds I had a massive drag on the midi timing throwing the sequence of kilter.........I’ve had to adjust the latency on abletons external instrument plug in for each of them....and I’m barely registering any cpu hit on the computer itself.......is there anything I’m missing that would cause a song to skip after almost 3 mins of it just playing only note on and off messages.........

Regards

Aka Bob
akaspeedy
Poster

Re: Not sure where to post this, but usb midi question

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

akaspeedy wrote: Have a usb c thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro, 4 ports of all the same....my symphony mk2 doesn’t have any 5 din midi ports so I purchased an anker multi USB port with its own power brick to connect 2 synths and a drum machine

I'd start looking for things to eliminate. What model Anker USB hub did you buy? Have you tried any of the sound sources directly connected to the Mac without it to see if there is any USB latency in its absence?
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Non-powered USB hubs can cause all sorts of problems for audio kit, so I would make sure you're using a powered one if possible. Even then it can be hit and miss - a lot of gear needs to be plugged into the computer directly to be happy.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:15 am

Also, something to check is if the hub is single-TT or multi-TT.

You want a multi-TT.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby akaspeedy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:39 am

Hi,
Thanks all!! It’s a powered usb hub, all the kit has its own power supply as well so I’m just using the hub to send midi data. This is the model I have Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VE4UJD4? ... b_ap_share

Would it be worth considering some sort of dedicated usb/midi interface?

Cheers

Aka speedy
akaspeedy
Poster