You are here

Some love for the Boutique JP-08

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Some love for the Boutique JP-08

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:51 pm

After being sidelined for a bit, the JP-08 is back as part of the Soundtrack Machine as the live poly synth (the TX7 has shifted to bass duties, freeing up the Mother-32 as a top line voice). The Boutiques often get short shrift for their tiny controls and limited polyphony, but the JP-08 has some cracking pad and lead sounds buried in there!

As my remedial keyboard skills don’t allow more than four notes at once, the polyphony is not an issue.

The onboard effects are nice but I am using a communal RV-500 which really compliments the JP-08 well. The chorus is very good, though.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Some love for the Boutique JP-08

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Here’s a rough sketch of what the JP-08 sounds like in context. No orchestral elements have been added yet.

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... h-sketch-2

Chord progression is Dmin-Gmin-BbMaj-Csus4-CMaj-AMaj-Dmin
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:46 pm

I don't think that anyone is criticising the sound of the boutiques, just the form factor, the polyphony and daft interfacing.

I find it ironic that if Roland had made it larger and stuck a couple of chips rather than 1 (and gone to 8 voice poly) with a proper PSU and connectors, people would have gone for them. Hell, I could have lived with the current issues if the new Juno 60 one had a full complement of voices. Ah well..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Dave B wrote:I don't think that anyone is criticising the sound of the boutiques, just the form factor, the polyphony and daft interfacing.
+1 The sound is fabulous. The design is just silly.

You're getting some great sounds there. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.