You are here

Yamaha CP reface Alternatives

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Yamaha CP reface Alternatives

Postby Urumiko » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Keyboards are not my area of expertise.

For some months now I find myself lusting after everything the CP reface has to offer. Well, Convincing Rhodes and Whirli sounds in a convenient package.

I currently find myself limiting my gear purchases more to the £150 kind of range and these keyboards are really holding their value.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of older alternatives i might be able to nab on ebay.
I do like the reface form factor but I'm wiling to consider anything from sound modules to full size pianos.
Urumiko
Regular

Re: Yamaha CP reface Alternatives

Postby resistorman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 am

Most keyboards or modules I’ve seen spend most of their budgets constructing acoustic piano sounds and the Rhodes and Wurlitzer samples are almost an afterthought. Not what I would call convincing.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 am

I think my answer is no, I've been resisting the urge to get a CP for a long time, and I'm very tempted, as a real Rhodes is still a lot of money.
The Reface IMO is a very hard act to beat. I hate the form factor, it's horrible, but just treat it like a sound module and stash it out of the way somewhere.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:38 pm

When one of my continental friends convinced me to try out the Reface CP in his studio I really didn't want to like it. I expected to politely prod a few keys, then move on and take a look at some of the better stuff in there. I spent 20 minutes being gob-smacked by the CP.

I hate almost everything about the hardware, from the ridiculous mini keyboard to the 'here we go again' external PSU. I hate the tabletop form, the short power cable, the impossibly small legending... At least it isn't a momentary power switch (I'm looking at you, Korg...). Would that it were in a 19-inch rack module...

But to hear it is to forgive it.

I simply had to get one - I've hoisted it up high on my keyboard stand (and I had to extend that damned PSU cable to manage this), just low enough so I can twiddle the controls. I have a cable plugged into the headphone jack in order to defeat the 'salvaged from a Furbie' speakers. Safely tucked away I play it from a decent keyboard. Once you hear the CP you forget the hardware and just revel in it what it does. It has no right to sound this good.

The simultaneously available multiple effects are really very good too - much better than those provided on the other Refaces.

In short - if you know you like the CP then I'd say go for it. I doubt you will be disappointed. I really have stopped looking for those sounds from elsewhere.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Urumiko » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks all.

I guess you have all served to prove why the CP specifically is holding its value.

Yes It's weird that it looks like a toy. One could argue there would be a market for a sound module version of this kit. That said, as much as id Hook my controler keyboard up to it in the studio, its nice to know that if i wanted to break away from the computer and use it as part of a jam rig, it could function nicely in that niche.

i guess ill just try and pinch my nose when im shelling out all that cash for a plastic toy keyboard. :mrgreen:

I wonder what tech it is based on.
Urumiko
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Urumiko wrote:i guess ill just try and pinch my nose when im shelling out all that cash for a plastic toy keyboard.
You may be pleasantly surprised at how solidly it is built - it looks like a toy, but it certainly doesn't feel like one.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:57 pm

" Plastic Toy keyboard "

I think the Reface series is iconic. A Future classic !

The keyboard action is no toy, although it is mini keys which doesnt suit all adults.

There is an accoustic piano "Easter Egg" in the CP, which Ive mentioned in that post

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=68844
N i g e l
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:23 pm

The Elf wrote:
the ridiculous mini keyboard

ideal for people with small hands and when you want to palm 12 notes at once :D

The Elf wrote:
external PSU. I hate the

fitting the PSU inside the unit would make it considerably bigger to say the least

The Elf wrote:
tabletop form,

aka highly portable, great for use with a laptop when away from base.

The Elf wrote:
defeat the 'salvaged from a Furbie' speakers

Considering the speakers are 3 x 3 cm they sound good. The case is labyrinth tuned
so extra bass comes from below.

You can turn the speakers off [and other stuff] with a special power up keypress.
[ on the DX its in the menu system ]

The Elf wrote:
The simultaneously available multiple effects are really very good too - much better than those provided on the other Refaces.

The DX effects are good too. 2 serial effects choosen from any of the usual suspects. Phase chorus distort reverb delay etc

The Reface also have an aux in. Ideal for plugging in a drum machine on your phone or to give a Volca some decent speakers.

:thumbup:
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Three octaves for a piano, though!!!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:44 pm

N i g e l wrote:fitting the PSU inside the unit would make it considerably bigger to say the least
I'll take it! Where do I sign? :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm

The Elf wrote: N i g e l wrote:
fitting the PSU inside the unit would make it considerably bigger to say the least

I'll take it! Where do I sign?

1 Option is to do away with the PSU and buy 2 sets of rechargeable AAs....
N i g e l
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:02 pm

N i g e l wrote:
The Elf wrote: N i g e l wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'll take it! Where do I sign?
1 Option is to do away with the PSU and buy 2 sets of rechargeable AAs....
:thumbdown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 am

Is anyone using an 88 note keyboard with the CP? Or at least a 61. How does the CP fair sonically at note extremes?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 am

I use a couple of 76 boards - the extremes are perfectly fine.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dashanna » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Urumiko wrote:I was wondering if anyone was aware of older alternatives i might be able to nab on ebay.

Check out the E-mu Classic Keys sound module, same soundset as the Vintage Keys, including very good classic e-pianos, but replaces the filters with FX and comes in much cheaper - £80 - £125.
Dashanna
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:58 am

The Elf wrote:I use a couple of 76 boards - the extremes are perfectly fine.

That's good, I'll have to check one of these out with a decent keyboard..
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm

If your going to the Yamaha shop, can you try out a CP1 as well and post your thoughts?

They both use Spectral Component Modelling so Im wondering if the reface is a cut down version of the CP1 and if so whats been cut (apart from the tweekability).
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 am

N i g e l wrote:If your going to the Yamaha shop, can you try out a CP1 as well and post your thoughts?

They both use Spectral Component Modelling so Im wondering if the reface is a cut down version of the CP1 and if so whats been cut (apart from the tweekability).

I'll try and go there tomorrow, I'm in London right now so it's OK.
I'll post back in a couple of days and let you know how I got on.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:53 pm

:thumbup: Great ! Thanks :)
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:31 pm

N i g e l wrote::thumbup: Great ! Thanks :)

OK, I went there today, they had never heard of a CP1, until a chap looked it up on the computer, they didn't have one obviously.
I tried the CP88 which didn't impress at all, no feedback from the keyboard, and the Rhodes sound was way too bright.
However, I must thank you for emptying my wallet, I bought a Reface CP after a minute of playing it, Intold the salesman it sounded better than the CP88. What a great little keyboard this is, fantastic effects too, I never thought I'd own one of these, but it's a revelation. I'm looking forward to putting my SM57 on those speakers.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next