You are here

Yamaha RS 7000 not booting

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Yamaha RS 7000 not booting

Postby d-steso » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi,
my RS 7000 does not boot anymore . I push the power on button, the display lights up, the Yamaha logo appears , but nothing else happens.
It stucks at the Yamaha logo, just before the loading bar (of the OS) appears.
Only the first time that I encountered this problem , I could solve it by doing the Factory Reset Procedure ( Press and hold down the [OCT DOWN], [OCT UP] and the [STORE] buttons while turning the power ON; and then release the buttons once the power is ON ).
Many time has passed since then and I have tried several times to repeat this operation, but it has not worked anymore.
I am very worried because I don't know where to turn for repair.
I have already had to deal with the Yamaha Repair Center in my region and I know their limits very well ( they can replace potentiometers and other buttons, but are unable to do more complex repairs) .
I know it very well and I really hope to find the solution by myself .
Anyone familiar with fixing these or know someone who is? any help is appreciated
* I am desperate: I bought it new in 2000 and after 18 years it is like a family member to me. Help me please.
d-steso
New here

Re: Yamaha RS 7000 not booting

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:59 am

Does it have a battery to power its internal memory when the power is off? I'd check that first.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby d-steso » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 am

Thank you so much for the advice James.
I had hoped immediately for the internal backup battery ...
Then I discarded this possibility, because in the manual there is clearly written that when the backup battery runs down, a "Backup Battery Low" warning message appears on the display and I never saw this message.
The manual then continues that "if the battery is completely discharged, the contents of the memory are lost".
Does this mean that I lose even the operating system?
d-steso
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:16 pm

The OS updater is available here, https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/rs7000_os_updater.html If you have lost your OS it would be worth trying to run it after changing the CMOS battery. But it is usual for the OS to be in non-volatile memory so it should survive changing the CMOS battery.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby d-steso » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Thank you very much Sam.
d-steso
New here

Postby d-steso » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Today I replaced the internal CMOS battery with a new one,
I also updated the OS, but after following the whole procedure the RS7000 doesn't boot the OS. The Yamaha logo appears , but nothing else happens.
It stucks at the Yamaha logo and below it appears a message that did not appear before:
" factory set ! ".
At this point I tried to turn it on by pressing only the power on button and I also tried to turn it on by pressing power on plus the combination of keys to activate the factory reset procedure, but the result is the same :
the display lights up, the Yamaha logo appears , but nothing else happens.

I am in mourning
d-steso
New here

Postby fatbenelton » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Have a look at this thread incl links - may help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... ame=iossmf
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny