You are here

Analogue Easter Eggs!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Analogue Easter Eggs!

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:57 pm

It's not the first time Yamaha have done something like this.

Anyone that has a DJX Mk1 - connect up with MIDI and marvel as you witness the controllers send MIDI CCs in they way that the manual specifically says they don't. This was a feature from the higher spec models that probably was meant to be switched off in the budget models! Oops!

Now if I was a manufacturer I'd put features like this in and let people, erm... find them... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dashanna » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Jamming in two or more of those old self-cancelling radio buttons used to give unintended but interesting results, as far as I can remember.

I'm thinking of the Dimension D chorus, and certain drum machines where patterns could be combined, but I think presets on some synths too (Korg Micro Preset? Jupiter 4?)
Dashanna
Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Dashanna wrote:Jamming in two or more of those old self-cancelling radio buttons used to give unintended but interesting results, as far as I can remember.

Also, famously, the 1176, where "All Buttons In" ("British Mode") (pressing all the ratio buttons in) gave the some quite wide-ranging unintended circuit behaviour, which gave a really interesting characteristic.

But in All-Button Mode, a few more things are happening; the ratio goes to somewhere between 12:1 and 20:1, and the bias points change all over the circuit. As a result, the attack and release times change. This change in attack and release times and the compression curve that results is the main contributor to the All-Button sound. This is what gives way to the trademark overdriven tone. The shape of the compression curve changes dramatically in All-Button. Where 4:1 is a gentle slope, All-Button is more like severe plateau! Furthermore, in All-Button mode there is a lag time on the attack of initial transients. This strange phenomenon might be described as a "reverse look-ahead".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1176_Peak_Limiter
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Dashanna wrote:Jamming in two or more of those old self-cancelling radio buttons used to give unintended but interesting results, as far as I can remember.

I'm thinking of the Dimension D chorus, and certain drum machines where patterns could be combined, but I think presets on some synths too (Korg Micro Preset? Jupiter 4?)
I have a Dimension D and can say that pushing multiple buttons doesn't do anything particularly useful, but I do recall certain drum machines doing interesting things!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room. On the OB-6, when you press any key it activates a blinking LED tucked inside the case underneath the patch number display. You can see it if you align your eyes to be on the same horizontal plane as the keybed.

It could be quite an attractive mod to bring that out to a coloured LED exposed via a new hole drilled in the case somwhere, if you were that way inclined...

... but I wouldn't do anything like that without checking with DSI support first :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby DGL. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 pm

The Elf wrote:

I have a Dimension D and can say that pushing multiple buttons doesn't do anything particularly useful, but I do recall certain drum machines doing interesting things!

Yes, quite a few of them do I think, mainly due to the lack of a processor in such devices so more primitive means were needed to sequence the drums.
Not quite sure what it actually did but I'm guessing it added the two patterns together getting a mix of the two.
I'm sure JMJ has done this with his minipops.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:55 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room.

Now that's how I first read it, and no wonder I was confused ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:01 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room.

Now that's how I first read it, and no wonder I was confused ;)

Ha, I see it too now, even though it's not dark in here! Oops :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room. On the OB-6, when you press any key it activates a blinking LED tucked inside the case underneath the patch number display. You can see it if you align your eyes to be on the same horizontal plane as the keybed.

It could be quite an attractive mod to bring that out to a coloured LED exposed via a new hole drilled in the case somwhere, if you were that way inclined...

... but I wouldn't do anything like that without checking with DSI support first :)

I quite the LED on the back of the KingKorg that does something similar when you play the keyboard.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I quite the LED on the back of the KingKorg that does something similar when you play the keyboard.

...in a choice of 8 colours including ‘fickle’ (all of them!)
IllumMode (Illumination Mode).......... [Off, White, Red, Pink, Blue, Green, Purple, Gold, Fickle]
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Another one I've just discovered...

I think many people know that Yamaha's Reface CS is velocity-sensitive to an extent, but it appears that the YC is also velocity-sensitive! A bit of an odd one, this. The percussion starts creeping in at velocity values above 10. :crazy:

I see nothing about this in the manual!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 pm

The Reface MIDI specs all say they transmit and recieve velocity but what they do with it is not defined.

Is it an authentic implementation similar to the original organs ?
Maybe its to add variation to the key click so that the "samples" dont machine gun ?
N i g e l
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 am

N i g e l wrote:Maybe its to add variation to the key click so that the "samples" dont machine gun ?
Definitely not - Hammonds were never that sophisticated!

N i g e l wrote:Maybe its to add variation to the key click so that the "samples" dont machine gun ?
But that wouldn't/shouldn't affect percussion.

I'll find it a useful feature, but 'authentic' it ain't.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 am

It still makes me smile that what was once thought of as an annoyance is now regarded as an essential feature :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 am

Folderol wrote:It still makes me smile that what was once thought of as an annoyance is now regarded as an essential feature :)
Percussion is very much part of the intended Hammond sound. Key click is an 'unwanted' consequence of the technology.

In a real Hammond velocity has no effect on percussion, but key click does change subtly depending on how quickly the key is pressed. As far as I can tell the Reface YC gives control of percussion to velocity, but has no effect on key click - which is the polar opposite of the genuine instrument!

Mr Hammond hated the key click, which he made attempts to reduce - this was met with dismay from players!

I'll include myself amongst the key click fans - it really is a beautiful part of the Hammond sound.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous