You are here

MIDI interface for USB sound module...?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

MIDI interface for USB sound module...?

Postby BJG145 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm trying to figure out what I need to play a Haken Continuumini, which only has USB MIDI, from a standard MIDI controller, without a computer.

There seem to be a number of USB/MIDI interfaces such as the Kenton MIDI USB Host which are designed to allow a USB keyboard to be connected to a MIDI sound module, but I'm not sure what works the other way round. I get the impression that maybe the iConnectMIDI4+ can do it...? Any alternatives...?

*edit*

Actually I just read on the page for the Kenton device that: "MIDI data received at the MIDI In socket will be sent to the USB device." So maybe that will work after all. (?)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: MIDI interface for USB sound module...?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:24 pm

I have the Kenton Midi USB Host and never considered this (bought to link my Akai EWI USB to the Model D) but, just tried it, and it does work both ways. With hindsight it would have no need of a midi IN socket if it didn't.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:37 pm

...useful to know, thanks for that...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:04 am

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:58 am

...gah, close but no cigar...got hold of one of these but the Continuumini is spitting out an error message that looks like a low-power problem. (Hard to tell and I can't easily find an online manual for the thing, but that's what it looks like.)

I'm sure I read of someone else using one of these to hook up a Linnstrument to a Continuumini. Maybe they had special silver audiophile USB leads that weren't more than a few cm long, because I'm ******** if I can get it working. Maybe I'll try the iConnectMIDI4+<insertrandomcharactershere> instead. :roll:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 am

BJG145 wrote:...gah, close but no cigar...got hold of one of these but the Continuumini is spitting out an error message that looks like a low-power problem. (Hard to tell and I can't easily find an online manual for the thing, but that's what it looks like.)

I'm sure I read of someone else using one of these to hook up a Linnstrument to a Continuumini. Maybe they had special silver audiophile USB leads that weren't more than a few cm long, because I'm ******** if I can get it working. Maybe I'll try the iConnectMIDI4+<insertrandomcharactershere> instead. :roll:

The only thing I can think of typing is to get a dual USB lead that has one output/B connector and two A connectors, with the extra A connector to provide extra power. This was something that was commonly supplied with USB CD-ROM drives as a lot of laptops could not supply enough power from 1 USB port at the time due to USB power limitations, esp. of 1.0/1 USB ports.
The other source of power could either be a power bank or a standard USB PSU.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:30 pm

...aha, just tried a really short stubby USB cable and it's working now, :thumbup:

(I've found before that some USB cables can drain power to problem levels.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:43 pm

BJG145 wrote:...aha, just tried a really short stubby USB cable and it's working now, :thumbup:

(I've found before that some USB cables can drain power to problem levels.)

It is more likely that they've skimped on the amount of copper in the power cores to keep the price down. Make sure that the cable is from a reputable brand and designed for USB2 as they increased the maximum current by a factor of 5 between USB1.1 and USB 2.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby BJG145 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks James - that's useful info...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)