You are here

Are Arturia Products Fragile?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Are Arturia Products Fragile?

Postby Mattyy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:05 pm

I've long loved Arturia's software. Recently I've decided to take the plunge and buy a hardware synth. I've been diligently doing my research. I've watched a million youtube videos. I've visited all of my local music shops and tried a hundred plus synths, sequencers, keyboards, etc...

I must say that at the beginning of my search, Arturia were at the top of my list. I really like the sound of the brute series and the microfreak really caught my attention. The problem is, every store (about a dozen) that I've visited has at least one broken Arturia product on it's shelves. Bent faders, broken buttons, glitchy software, etc... I've had little to no luck with their stuff. Surrounding brands have been fine (except one broken key on a DSI synth) but my Arturia woes have persisted. The single microfreak that I tried was absolutely unusable. I had a hard time switching presets, the sequencer/arp buttons were broken and some sounds just wouldn't work at all. Apparently it was a return so maybe that was the shop's problem but this was less than a month after launch :/

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this experience or am I caught in some kind of weird anti-Arturia universe out here in Canada? Also, I would be careful if you are thinking of buying into the Arturiverse - just make sure that you have your warranty all squared up maybe.

Loving the idea of the Matrixbrute and want to spend about that amount of money. Has anybody had experience with that synth?

MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Re: Are Arturia Products Fragile?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:10 pm

I've got a Matrixbrute, DrumBrute and a Keylab MkII 61 from Arturia and I've not had any problems with the build quality of any of them. To me they are solid and well made.

Of course anything will break if you abuse it enough, but the experience you describe is very different to mine!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby MOF » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I’ve just bought their keyboard collection v7 software and no problems, a mate of mine has version 6 plus their 25 note controller keyboard and no problems to report.
MOF
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Mattyy wrote:Loving the idea of the Matrixbrute and want to spend about that amount of money. Has anybody had experience with that synth?

Had mine for a year or so. It's great fun to play with, sounds great and looks even better. I tend to use the sequencer/arps in mine to control other things.

Overall, I think the weakest thing about it is the factory presets. One thing you might find a bit annoying is the e-ink display that shows the current patch name. It lags behind everything else quite a lot when changing patches - personally I would have preferred a nice backlit LCD or OLED display.

Definitely worth having a good play with one before parting with the money. And be VERY CAREFUL when moving it about because it's genuinely quite dangerous unless you've got the control surface stowed flat.

I'm not joking here, it would easily break multiple fingers if you got them caught between the case and the control surface in a scissor-action while on the wrong side of gravity. I consider it a child-risk, and wouldn't let my 10-year old anywhere near it unsupervised for that reason alone.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Mattyy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Weird.
I just had a thought though. Arturia products are kind of a hot item at these stores right now and are actually quite affordable for what you get. Maybe they're seeing a lot more traffic than other synths in the shops.

Thanks for the feedback on the Matrixbrute. A lot of the shops stock up at this time of year so maybe I'll get a chance to try one. Glad to hear it's serving you well.

MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Overall, I think the weakest thing about it is the factory presets.

This is my experience with Arturia stuff in general, including the software - the presets are often quite poor...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Mattyy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm not joking here, it would easily break multiple fingers if you got them caught between the case and the control surface in a scissor-action while on the wrong side of gravity.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a desk at the side of my mix position that would hold one perfectly. Looks like I should read the manual before I head in and maybe try and build a sound from scratch.

Cheers.
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Mattyy wrote:I just had a thought though. Arturia products are kind of a hot item at these stores right now and are actually quite affordable for what you get. Maybe they're seeing a lot more traffic than other synths in the shops.
That was my initial thought, are the demo versions in shops just getting lots of use (and the occasional abuse) compared to the other stuff on the shelf?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mattyy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Well it seems like most here are having no trouble so it must be. Still. As the type who likes to buy quality and will probably have this synth for life, it is disconcerting. I also use my controller every day (which I'm looking to replace) so I might look at the Moog, Sequential and Novation offerings as alternatives and weigh my options.
Thanks for the feedback all.
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Mattyy wrote:... I might look at the Moog, Sequential and Novation offerings as alternatives and weigh my options.

In my collection I've got a Sequential Prophet-6, a DSI OB-6 and a Novation Summit. I know some other folks here have both the Prophet-6 and OB-6 as well. Also a good mate of mine on the other side of town has a Moog One so if you have any specific questions on those, feel free to ask :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mattyy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Thanks!
And thanks for all of your help Eddy Deegan.
I've had a play with all of the synths that you mentioned. All seem to be incredible machines, am I correct in assuming so? Tried the Summit at Toronto Synth Expo. What a beast! If I had $3500 I would be tempted to buy that. How's yours treating you? I can't let my mind ponder the One because I'll never make enough $ to justify that. I was looking at the Prophet Rev2 16 voice. Like the sound of the OB6 and Prophet6 better though. Also the X looks the business as well. Any insight you have would be more than welcome. Haven't had the chance to talk to any real users yet. Especially one with experience with all the machines.
Thanks again in advance.
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 am

I bought the hardware keyboard "Analogue Factory Experience" which looks great with the wooden end cheeks. After a (shortish) time, a Bb ceased to sound, and is still broken.

I dismantled the thing, and it seems to have some kind of capacitance sensing, which is not possible (for me) to repair.

It still looks great, but it's unusable really. I bought a Korg replacement, and haven't bothered with Arturia hardware since. The software of course is brilliant.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:11 am

I can only give my experiences, which may not be typical.
I bought a couple of Arturia Keylabs, the initial impression on opening the boxes was of very fragile products, the quality of the keys, switches etc felt like they'd really gone for the cheapest. One keybaoard was a 61, the other an 88, the latter didn't make me feel any better.
I sent them back after just a couple of days, I got the feeling that anything could break at any time.
Arturia were a great company, their early soft synths were amazing, they chnaged my approach to synths completely, but as they updated them they lost their sound, and that, with little or no backwards compatibility has put me off of them ever since.
Sorry to be so negative, but that's just my experience.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Benn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:54 am

I've had a Keylab 61 as my main keyboard for a number of years. Shortly after purchasing one of the keys stopped working. A bit of googling suggested early models had this problem (this was old stock I had bought cheap :tongue: ) Arturia offered either to replace the keybed for me if I sent it back or to send me a replacement for me to fit, both free of charge. I chose the latter and haven't had any problems since.

If you have a faulty key you might want to try contacting Arturia support who I found to be really helpful.

Richard
Richard Benn
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Some years ago things were rather different at Arturia than they are now. Great softsynths but their support was not so great and the softsynths were a royal pain to install and licence. At one point I thought they were all but abandoned.

In recent years they've improved almost beyond recognition. Their licencing is as easy as pie, updates have been more frequent, support is great and and the Keylab Mk II is a big improvement over the original IMHO (even though it does have a very light synth-style action).
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Mattyy wrote:Thanks!
Tried the Summit at Toronto Synth Expo. What a beast! If I had $3500 I would be tempted to buy that. How's yours treating you?

To say I love it would be an understatement - it suits me perfectly for the purposes I bought it for (jamming and filling the gap between pure digital and pure analogue synths in the studio).

It has an 'other worldly' sound to it that really works for me.

Mattyy wrote:I can't let my mind ponder the One because I'll never make enough $ to justify that. I was looking at the Prophet Rev2 16 voice. Like the sound of the OB6 and Prophet6 better though. Also the X looks the business as well. Any insight you have would be more than welcome. Haven't had the chance to talk to any real users yet. Especially one with experience with all the machines.
Thanks again in advance.
MW

The OB6 and Prophet are both wonderful things, but although they sound epic they have limitations insofar as they are monotimbral, have low polyphony and 4-octave keyboards.

Not a problem at all if you're supplementing other stuff with them or if that matches your requirements. As you were originally mulling a Matrixbrute I suspect that wouldn't be an issue for you, but it's worth bearing in mind. It rather depends what you're wanting to use the synth for really.

I don't own, nor have ever used, a Rev2, but I've heard good things about them. I have a feeling at least a couple of forum regulars have one.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mattyy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Wow!
More info today. Thanks Howdy Doody Time, Arpangel and Richard Benn for posting your experiences. You really have helped me with an important decision.

I think that if the Arturia was playing a supplementary role in my studio then I would be sure to buy one of their excellent sounding offerings. But since I'm looking to buy a centerpiece synth that will be used every day, maybe I should start elsewhere.

Thanks Eddy again for sharing your insight and experiences. Glad to hear that Arturia 'are stepping up their game' so to speak. Thinking of saving my pennies and selling some gear. That Summit just looks too perfect. But on the other hand, I'm very happy with the soft synths that I have for digital tones/pads so maybe all I need is a small 3 octave synth/controller with great tones... Have looked at the Subsequent 37 and Analog Keys recently and wondering if those machines might serve my purposes. Any insights here? Regardless, thanks ever so much for your advice. Maybe one day, I'll have the pleasure of hearing some Summit music...
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby DGL. » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Wasn't CME involved in Arturia hardware in the past, that could have been half the problem. My UF70 Classic V2 looks nice enough but firmware and hardware aren't the best. Try changing octaves whilst holding notes, crashes the whole thing.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Jadoube » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:04 pm

I own the 61 key wooden ended controller (Factory?) and the little tiny mini key's controller plus all the vintage v7 emulations. I bought the controllers used because I liked the emulations and just wanted a plug and play controller. It seems pretty good to me. I don't gig live with it but I am not delicate with it in the studio. No complaints.
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby Mattyy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm

More interesting insights.
Thanks DGL and Jadoube for sharing.
The takeaway lesson for me is that Arturia, while providing excellent value for money might be more suited for frequent but not daily/hourly use. If I'd posted a similar query about Moog, Sequential or Modal, I doubt that I would have gotten such mixed responses.
Thanks to all.
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Next