You are here

Are Arturia Products Fragile?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Are Arturia Products Fragile?

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 am

I've had the original MiniBrute for about 18 months, and I have a tendency to be a clumsy individual and it has survived me. It always feels quite solid to me (and, on one occasion, specifically my toes!!!)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:25 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Some years ago things were rather different at Arturia than they are now. Great softsynths but their support was not so great and the softsynths were a royal pain to install and licence. At one point I thought they were all but abandoned.

In recent years they've improved almost beyond recognition. Their licencing is as easy as pie, updates have been more frequent, support is great and and the Keylab Mk II is a big improvement over the original IMHO (even though it does have a very light synth-style action).

I agree in some respects, and I will say that customer support is very good now, but I do find that some aspects of their current soft synths are confusing, and the UI isn't as good as it used to be.
I always find it a bit of a puzzle when software designers insist on updating or "improving" things when it's just not necassary and they are perfectly fine as they are. Arturia are a major example in this case. I had lots of sounds that I programmed for the 2600 and Moog Modular, despite the conversion software, I never was able to make them work in the newer versions, that's what put me off using them ever since.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Mattyy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:30 pm

More insight :bouncy:
Thanks for sharing Rich and Arp.
I guess when working to a price point, you have to find efficiencies where you can and bolster those areas that may cost more if not addressed. Regardless, I'm thankful that there are companies like Arturia that make products for the rest of us.
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby MOF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm

I had lots of sounds that I programmed for the 2600 and Moog Modular, despite the conversion software, I never was able to make them work in the newer versions, that's what put me off using them ever since.

I’ve only just bought the Arturia collection, I hope they don’t do that in the future, or even worse.
Yes Native Instruments I’m referring to your dropping the Pro 53 emulation of the Prophet 5.
I’d even bought third party voices from the ex-Japan keyboardist. Now I have to load old Logic songs onto my old MBP and render out as audio any parts I want to use.
MOF
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Mattyy wrote:I've long loved Arturia's software. Recently I've decided to take the plunge and buy a hardware synth. I've been diligently doing my research. I've watched a million youtube videos. I've visited all of my local music shops and tried a hundred plus synths, sequencers, keyboards, etc...

I must say that at the beginning of my search, Arturia were at the top of my list. I really like the sound of the brute series and the microfreak really caught my attention. The problem is, every store (about a dozen) that I've visited has at least one broken Arturia product on it's shelves. Bent faders, broken buttons, glitchy software, etc... I've had little to no luck with their stuff. Surrounding brands have been fine (except one broken key on a DSI synth) but my Arturia woes have persisted. The single microfreak that I tried was absolutely unusable. I had a hard time switching presets, the sequencer/arp buttons were broken and some sounds just wouldn't work at all. Apparently it was a return so maybe that was the shop's problem but this was less than a month after launch :/

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this experience or am I caught in some kind of weird anti-Arturia universe out here in Canada? Also, I would be careful if you are thinking of buying into the Arturiverse - just make sure that you have your warranty all squared up maybe.

Loving the idea of the Matrixbrute and want to spend about that amount of money. Has anybody had experience with that synth?

MW

I have had several hardware items from Arturia and have always found their products well built, conversely I find some of the software clunky and perplexing, for example the MIDI Control Centre, I get regular "You need to update" messages so I update yet the same version number is shown, on the other hand the Modular V is great. But yes, back to hardware, I've never had any problems and it feels well built
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby bunker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 pm

My ownership experience..

MiniBrute - Key bed died fairly early on. Well, the keys started physically falling apart.. I think I read it was an issue with the glue they used? Apart from that it was okay for what it was. Still got it but it’s sat on a shelf gathering dust.

DrumBrute - Well built with nice solid feeling controls, metal chassis and I think the pads and roll features are great. Sounds are a bit meh but you still get individual outs, cv/clock I/O etc etc. Only downside is needing to run their Midi Control Centre to alter most global settings.

MiniBrute2S - Night and day difference (for the better) in build quality and sound quality over the first generation. Arturia pretty much acknowledged that at the time. Can sound superb and the sequencer is fab.

MatrixBrute - Tank like build quality, heavy weight, as alluded to earlier you wouldn’t want your fingers in the side if you knocked the metal panel over that supports the front panel! Covers loads of bases, the matrix can keep you occupied for hours and the sequencer is direct and tons of fun. Love the ladder filter over the SP filter but that’s personal taste.
Mine was an ex display model but given it was a demonstrator there are no loose/wobbly pots or buttons, just a couple of dings it picked up....

MicroFreak - Small, lightweight, not a huge fan of the fixed keybed but wow...the sound design possibilities using the admittedly limited matrix to modulate the oscillator parameters will get you all over. Sounds fantastic through pedals but h9lds it’s own as is right out of the box. If you’re not a fan of digital oscillators the MF might change your mind.

As regards build quality I can honestly say the only One I’ve had issues with was the first MB and I know I wasn’t on my own. All my other synths of theirs has been spot on.
bunker
Regular
"Who were Wings?”  “Only the band the Beatles could have been.."

Postby Mattyy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:32 pm

Wow!
Thanks MOF, One World and bunker.
Great insight! I really do like the sound of the Microfreak and if I do get a heavy duty synth that can do controller duties, maybe I can use the 'freak as a solid sound source?
The MB2 is on sale right now as well so...
Either way, off out tomorrow and maybe Friday to try a few things out and brave the MF madness.
Thanks to everyone for their insight!
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby bunker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:52 pm

I had the email about the Black Friday deals on the Brutes. I’d have the MB2 keyboard in a heart beat but I just can’t justify it with having the 2S and Matrix. I’ve played one in a shop and it was a solid bit of kit. Fatar keybed is lovely. At the current price it’s a big saving over their normal list price.

If you can try and watch some videos on the freak. It’s a lot deeper than it’s almost toy like appearance might lead you believe. An hour in a shop with one wouldn’t do it justice. Not sure if you’re aware but the oscillator is based on Mutable Instruments plaits code so you could have a look at that too.

I sound like a rep :headbang:
bunker
Regular
"Who were Wings?”  “Only the band the Beatles could have been.."

Postby Mattyy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 pm

Not at all bunker.
Very helpful for a guy who has been researching so long I'm starting to double back - lol!! Looking long and hard at the Subsequent 37 as a controller/source of amazing tones. The Freak in conjunction with that may just be a dream. We'll see.
Thanks again.
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby Mattyy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Just to wrap up this post, I did end up getting the Moog. I think it will sync well with Omnisphere and my other soft synths. May still grab the Microfreak when it goes on sale in the future.
Thanks to all for your contributions. :clap:
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:57 pm

MOF wrote:
I had lots of sounds that I programmed for the 2600 and Moog Modular, despite the conversion software, I never was able to make them work in the newer versions, that's what put me off using them ever since.

I’ve only just bought the Arturia collection, I hope they don’t do that in the future, or even worse.
Yes Native Instruments I’m referring to your dropping the Pro 53 emulation of the Prophet 5.
I’d even bought third party voices from the ex-Japan keyboardist. Now I have to load old Logic songs onto my old MBP and render out as audio any parts I want to use.

You're quoting me in your own name! :)
But it's not on actually, making new versions of anything that isn't backwards compatible, not only that, but with an inferior UI.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:54 am

Don't worry MOF, you know you're quoting someone who's been quoted by mistake as Hugh Robjohns probably my highest honour...

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous