You are here

Roland RD-150 Help

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland RD-150 Help

Postby Davebett » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi my dad was about to dump his Roland rd 150 keyboard which he's had for a long time but has been stored in the loft for the last 3 years due to the sound going funny on occasions.

I've posted a video link which shows the problem the sound starts funny until halfway through he hits the corner of the keyboard and the piano sounds can then be heard.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4EF9G2aGYgVvunDy9
Davebett

Re: Roland RD-150 Help

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 am

Do you have another keyboard with a MIDI out socket? If you played the RD-150 from another keyboard and the RD150 still made the same noises then that would eliminate the keybed itself and its connections from the equation.

If it all sounds normal doing that, then the connections from the keybed to the circuit board could be corroded or loose.

I'd also try the headphone out socket, if it has one. If there's no audible distortion there, then its something to do with the internal speaker amplifier.

With the intermittent nature of the problem, it's likely to be a loose ribbon connector or some corroded contacts.

You should be able to take the casings off and have a look inside for obvious corrosion or loose wires. There's probably an internal battery for memory retention which may need replacing or it may have leaked if very old.

The current resale value of these keyboards is maybe somewhere between £100-£150 at best, so bear that in mind if you can't find any obvious fault and decide to take it in for repairs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Roland RD-150 Help

Postby Davebett » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Wonks wrote:Do you have another keyboard with a MIDI out socket? If you played the RD-150 from another keyboard and the RD150 still made the same noises then that would eliminate the keybed itself and its connections from the equation.

If it all sounds normal doing that, then the connections from the keybed to the circuit board could be corroded or loose.

I'd also try the headphone out socket, if it has one. If there's no audible distortion there, then its something to do with the internal speaker amplifier.

With the intermittent nature of the problem, it's likely to be a loose ribbon connector or some corroded contacts.

You should be able to take the casings off and have a look inside for obvious corrosion or loose wires. There's probably an internal battery for memory retention which may need replacing or it may have leaked if very old.

The current resale value of these keyboards is maybe somewhere between £100-£150 at best, so bear that in mind if you can't find any obvious fault and decide to take it in for repairs.
Thanks ill try and open it up and have a check & report back
Davebett