You are here

Wavedrum as bodhran

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Wavedrum as bodhran

Postby BJG145 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Playing a Wavedrum like a bodhran...what a brilliant idea. :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/ZXNK-Mra2lo?t=85
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Wavedrum as bodhran

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Clever, but I ain't a-doing that to my HPD15!

Actually I used to play the bodhran back in the 70s but I never liked the sound of more than one in a session (whatever subtlety you put into playing is cancelled out by the other "players") and since that consideration didn't seem to affect other people I ended up stopping playing the thing. Nowadays I consider them to be splendid kindling for the accordion bonfire whenever it happens.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Folderol » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:51 pm

Class playing, and the thing is impressive. Somehow it doesn't sound quite right though. Can't say why exactly.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:59 am

That's class.

There's been a few attempts to bring some kind of MIDI capability to a frame drum. I remember talking about it with Peter Houlihan from Upstairs In A Tent (Brian Finnegan - pre Flook) in about 1995. It always seemed to fall down on response time, sensitivity to variation and the mix of acoustic/processed/triggered sound.

This seems to be a step sideways rather than up, triggered and synth sounds may be added but it sounds like the detail is all in the acoustic sound and the technique is a bit "one handed" unless you fancy ripping the back off, which might compromise the workings slightly.

Despite, or perhaps because of the apparent simplicity of the basic design I find there is a greater correlation between the personality of player and the sound they produce than in any other instrument and I believe this is a major part of the appeal of the bodhran, as well as (as CC alludes to) their ease of combustion.

I think the wavedrum would spoil both of these aspects of the beauty.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby awjoe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:38 am

I got a Wavedrum and it actually found its way onto a song I recorded. I'm grateful.

But that player in the video is a genius. I love the way his left thumb changes the pitch of the hit. He'd make whacking a bucket with a sausage sound great.

The reason that I reach for my bongo way more often than I reach for my Wavedrum is that the bongo's more expressive. And sounds better. Just saying.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am

I'd suggest the same here. If you've got the technique, then use a real bodhran and stick a mic on it for a better sound. Only use the wavedrum if the bodhran's been used for kindling.

The wavedrum's useful for people who need to record the odd bit of 'ethnic' hand drum and don't have the space to store all the types of hand drum around.

For those of you that remember The Commander, I know he bought one some time ago for his library music work, played it for a bit then swapped back to the real things.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BJG145 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:24 am

shufflebeat wrote:There's been a few attempts to bring some kind of MIDI capability to a frame drum.

Have you come across the ATV aFrame...?

Love this guy...

https://youtu.be/0KfT6dPy5iE?t=80
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:38 am

BJG145 wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:There's been a few attempts to bring some kind of MIDI capability to a frame drum.

Have you come across...
Love this guy...

It's like Rolf Harris is in the room!!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:08 pm

The Wavedrum has been a great ally to me over the years - glad to have mine still around. I don't play it with any skill, but when I need a viking war drum it does the job!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:29 pm

This is fun (do not watch, CC, multi-bodhran alert)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahw0h8q1AJI

Lots of the fancy fireworks was introduced by this guy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9HyB5yNS1A

Before JJ the bodhran was either very trad or very tourist-y, JJ was mixing it up some innovative people who, like him, had spent years understanding the context so could wander off piste without losing track.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:29 pm

The tragedy of the bodhran is how few people realise that it requires skill and practice to play well, plus a willingness to listen to what other musicians are doing, all things which are notably missing from the vast majority of "players" who think: "It's a drum, how hard can that be?", pay their few quid for something with a Guinness logo on it and then go looking for a session to spoil, usually in packs.

My particular dread is reserved for the bodhran thrasher who wanders into an English music session. English music is very different rhythmically from Irish traditional music (in an old joke Irish is described as "diddly-diddly" while English goes "rumpty-tumpty"). The average bodhran thrasher will be totally insensitive to this and when they wallop the thing the rhythm cuts right across the music and guts it. Ah, spit!

Back in the 70s a friend of mine was all England champion on the thing. He told me once he used to start workshops he was giving by saying "In a sessions the first thing you have to determine before accompanying a tune is what key it's in" and then he'd enjoy watching people's faces fall.

From all this you might think I really dislike the bodhran. I don't, it's bodhran players I hate.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Been there. Sometimes best played with either a piece of string or a Stanley knife.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:16 pm

The younger of those kids in shufflebeat's first link is quite astonishing!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby BJG145 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:25 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Lots of the fancy fireworks was introduced by this guy.

JJK is a master - saw him with Flook at Colchester Arts Centre in May, though I had to leave before the bodhran solo to get the last train home.

It's great to see Flook playing again though - and I've just seen they're at Folk in a Field next year. I'll be playing the next day, so y'all might want to get tickets for the full weekend. ;)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:31 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:The tragedy of the bodhran is how few people realise that it requires skill and practice to play well, plus a willingness to listen to what other musicians are doing,
This applies to a lot of instruments and their players!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Agharta » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:The tragedy of the bodhran is how few people realise that it requires skill and practice to play well, plus a willingness to listen to what other musicians are doing, all things which are notably missing from the vast majority of "players" who think: "It's a drum, how hard can that be?", pay their few quid for something with a Guinness logo on it and then go looking for a session to spoil, usually in packs.

My particular dread is reserved for the bodhran thrasher who wanders into an English music session. English music is very different rhythmically from Irish traditional music (in an old joke Irish is described as "diddly-diddly" while English goes "rumpty-tumpty"). The average bodhran thrasher will be totally insensitive to this and when they wallop the thing the rhythm cuts right across the music and guts it. Ah, spit!

Back in the 70s a friend of mine was all England champion on the thing. He told me once he used to start workshops he was giving by saying "In a sessions the first thing you have to determine before accompanying a tune is what key it's in" and then he'd enjoy watching people's faces fall.

From all this you might think I really dislike the bodhran. I don't, it's bodhran players I hate.
CC

Never been exposed to random auditory attacks by bodhran terrorists, but don’t get me started on the jihadi djembe players. Good job they don’t wear suicide vests or I might be tempted to detonate them.
Why aren’t the political parties talking about a licensing scheme for djembe players or even internment camps?
Non tone deaf voters require answers.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:My particular dread is reserved for the bodhran thrasher who wanders into an English music session.CC

I encountered a Cajon in a Gypsy Jazz session this year, there were six sessions going on in a large pub and the cajon was audible everywhere..........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Bodhran, cajon and djembe all perhaps belong in a new musical instrument grouping: instruments played by people who really desperately want to be musicians but don't actually want to spend any time or put any effort into becoming one. There's a lot of software catering to that market as well nowadays. :(

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 pm

But, like most instruments, there are accomplished practitioners, the two kids in the video being perfect examples (and, though not in quite the same league, the drummer in my band is a great percussionist and makes musically sympathetic noises on a cajon amongst several instruments (including, incidentally, Gypsy Jazz rhythm guitar).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Wouldn't dream of disagreeing with you. As I said further up:

ConcertinaChap wrote:From all this you might think I really dislike the bodhran. I don't, it's bodhran players I hate.

And specifically those players who don't see the beauty and potential of the instrument, just a shortcut to a status they don't deserve and can't see real musicians aren't giving them.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Next