You are here

Proper Etiquette For Marketing Presets/Patches

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Proper Etiquette For Marketing Presets/Patches

Postby Mattyy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Recently I've scored a couple of gigs creating presets for well known software designers.
I really enjoyed the gigs and may do followup jobs as well.
But I have been making presets for various pieces of software and hardware for quite a while now.
This new year, I'm thinking of hosting a few of my own packs. Most likely I'll use a pay what you want scheme as I'm very much a newcomer.

My questions is, what is the proper etiquette for doing this? Should I get permission from the software/synth company who made the instrument? What do all of the companies out there do who develop patches for instruments they didn't create?

I would really love to hear from anyone who has experience creating presets/patches/etc...
Thanks in advance,
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Re: Proper Etiquette For Marketing Presets/Patches

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi Mattyy,

You don't need permission from anyone to create presets for software or hardware products, but it can be very rewarding to contact the developers/manufacturers, as they may get the news out to their customers.

Also, don't underestimate the value of having someone else market your sounds.

I've created many hundreds of presets for various companies over the years, and the sound libraries that really justified me spending loads of time on them were the ones were a lot of effort was subsequently put into marketing, as well as having a large mailing list.

The tricky thing about selling your own is making sure that potential customers find them easily, and even if you contact loads of on-line sites with press releases this can result in precious few sales.

Also, 'pay what you want' is a nice idea in theory, but in practice probably only suitable for hobbyists who are interested in a bit of pin money - if you are confident in the quality of your sounds and want to be taken seriously then establish a fair price from the start and stick to it.

My two pennorth anyway ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:17 pm

It's also worth adding that if your sounds are available for virtually nothing it makes it harder for the people trying to make a proper living out of designing synth patches (unless yours are truly awful of course but the fact that you're here suggests that you are confident that is not the case).

Good luck.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mattyy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Thank you so very much for the advice Martin and Sam.

1. I will definitely get in touch with manufacturers before I make my presets available.
2. I'll avoid the pwyw scheme and just charge fairly.

Thanks ever so much for the feedback. The last thing that I want to do is step on any toes.
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby Stickman0_3 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Sorry for the intrusion, but I would also like some guidance on how / where to advertise my sounds.

I've programmed sounds for :

Yamaha CS6x
Casio CZ1
Yamaha SY35
Yamaha AN1x
Kawai K5000s
Roland SH32

I offer my sounds for a small fee as I can spend hours creating the sounds I offer. Maybe we could get a little group of programmers together?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Mattyy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Good question Stickman.
Would be interested to find out as well. I'm not as far along this road as you but will report what I learn when I have material. Also would be interested in joining a group of designers when I have more to offer.
Thanks for the input,
MW
Mattyy
Regular
Just a fan of music...

Postby Stickman0_3 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm

I must add that although I have a good selection, I have not sold any sounds of late but I'll keep trying.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Stickman0_3 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:52 pm

I am looking forward to programming the Korg MS2000 soon having made my own blank parameter charts.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Chimera » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:43 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Mattyy,

Also, don't underestimate the value of having someone else market your sounds.

I've created many hundreds of presets for various companies over the years, and the sound libraries that really justified me spending loads of time on them were the ones where a lot of effort was subsequently put into marketing, as well as having a large mailing list.

My two pennorth anyway ;)

Martin

That’s interesting to hear Martin. I’ve only really come across patches sold via YouTube demos. The people doing it this way have to sound design, film, edit etc. There must be a huge amount of non sound design work involved. Do you manage to avoid all the extraneous work or just some of it?
Chimera
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:11 am

All that other stuff is part of the fun of making your own products - providing you like doing that stuff, of course! ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Chimera » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:29 pm

I suppose so Desmond. It was just that if you do all the non sound design work too then it is time away from the actual expertise of sound design! I was just curious as to how much of the back room stuff Martin managed to avoid!
Chimera
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Chimera wrote:I suppose so Desmond. It was just that if you do all the non sound design work too then it is time away from the actual expertise of sound design! I was just curious as to how much of the back room stuff Martin managed to avoid!

Sure - but your timetables are up to you - you can still spend the same time on sound design, and then want to put in more time to package and market your product as well. Or, you can give yourself an arbitrary deadline and just do what you can in that time, and get it out whatever state it's in.

I'm of the former school, when I'm in control of the process. I just don't like the approach of "hey, I have some files you can buy", I like a theme, a product name, an identity and to surround the potential buyer with some clues that some thought, effort, and (hopefully!) skill was put into the product, to differentiate me from the people who minimally tweaked a bunch of presets, saved them out, and then charge money for the files.

But hey, we all have different values, that's part of what makes our world interesting - you can make the things you want, in the way you want... What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Chimera wrote:I was just curious as to how much of the back room stuff Martin managed to avoid!

Ha!

Ironically, since on this occasion I'm mainly referring to Camel Audio, for whom I created my Steamworx library, I was HEAVILY involved in the back room stuff, because I did a lot of tech support work for them, dealing direct with Alchemy user problems, and loads of Beta testing of all the new libraries that were published.

My point was that once I'd finished creating my Steamworx sound library (as well as writing the audio demos and putting together an illustrated PDF user manual), it was advertised via Camel Audio's mailing list (if I recall correctly this was at the time already over 20,000 users), as well as their mail-outs to all the usual on-line review web sites.

As a result of the positive reviews & initial user feedback on forums, Steamworx ended up selling quite a few thousand copies - I could never have managed that, selling from my own web site.

Some sound designers do manage this though, by first releasing sounds through well known companies to get their name and reputation out there, and then releasing further sounds directly and doing their own advertising, but it does takes a lot of work to slowly build up a customer base on your own, and you have to keep at it (as well as posting regularly on various forums around the world) so that people know you're still there and releasing new stuff that they might like.

Martin
Martin Walker