You are here

KORG Trinity Pro X

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

KORG Trinity Pro X

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:33 pm

The Trinity Pro X has always been a dream keyboard of mine, for reasons that I won't go into right now. And I realize it may not be a very relevant board in 2019, but...

A music store in my area that deals in used gear has one for sale for $550, which is super cheap compared to eBay and others. I plan to go take a look at the board, hopefully within the next few days.

Does anyone have any advice in this instance, either related to looking at a used board, or related to the Trinity Pro X in general? I'd welcome any feedback.
nickle15
Poster

Re: KORG Trinity Pro X

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:17 am

Just the obvious :

1. do a quick chromatic run down the keyboard checking for issues with the keys firing
2. make sure you plug the audio outputs into something rather than rely on a headphone socket, so you can check for noisy / bad outputs
3. and then check the headphone output :)
4. Touch screen - have a thorough wander around using it as these were early touch screen devices and so you want to know if it works ok
5. Does it send / receive midi?
6. Foot pedals?

With any Trinity, check to see if anything optional is installed. There may be a bank 'C' (iirc) which has some MOSS synth patches if either of the moss boards are in.

I'd definitely midi it to a more modern piano so that I could play the keyboard and check that it all responds as it should (the internal piano is very old and a bit ... plinky plonky).

I do hope it's ok - I have a soft spot for one of these as well and nearly grabbed one earlier in the year. The Trinity is a great workstation and the idea of one with a decent weighted keyboard makes me all tingly!

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am

Important things to check are the data dial, and the switches, I bought one ages ago and some of the switches were very intermittent, and the dial jumped in huge increments, it wasn't a deal breaker, but I'd wished I'd held out for one that wasn't as bad, it becomes very annoying after awhile.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:50 am

some of the switches were very intermittent, and the dial jumped in huge increments,

+1,depending on whether it’s been heavily gigged or not this can be a big issue.

I loved the sounds and KORG made many of them available for the Kronos, so I can use them and carry on tweaking them!
Hope it’s good it is a nice board.
IAA
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:54 am

IAA wrote:
some of the switches were very intermittent, and the dial jumped in huge increments,

+1,depending on whether it’s been heavily gigged or not this can be a big issue.

I loved the sounds and KORG made many of them available for the Kronos, so I can use them and carry on tweaking them!
Hope it’s good it is a nice board.

Been tempted by a Kronos for a long time, looks like a great all round keyboard.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby nickle15 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks all! Great tips and I definitely appreciate the advice!

The part of the story I left out was that on Monday I had ordered a TR Rack. It was bonus time at work so I decided to splurge a bit. And of course, a day later I found the Trinity online. So I was trying to decide about keeping the TR Rack or reselling it and buying the big board.

The rack arrived yesterday afternoon and I hooked it up to an M-Audio Keystation 88. It’s still a struggle to think through but I may just end up keeping the rack. Anyway, I’m giving myself the weekend to play around with the rack before I make a decision. With a DAW the sequencer on the keyboard becomes a lot less important obviously so if I’m happy with the rack sounds I may just save the cash for now.

Long rambling narrative there!

Anyway, thanks again for all the input!!
nickle15
Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:16 pm

According to Eddy Deegan, the rack is great, but just seems to lack a certain something that the keyboard has. It's quite subtle, but he reckons that it's noticeable.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby nickle15 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Dave B wrote:According to Eddy Deegan, the rack is great, but just seems to lack a certain something that the keyboard has. It's quite subtle, but he reckons that it's noticeable.

Even without playing the actual keyboard I would be inclined to agree with that sentiment. There's something slightly "inelegant" about my arrangement of the TR Rack and an 88 key controller. I've almost got myself talked into making the 45 minute drive to see the board even if I lean towards keeping the rack instead. It would just be nice to see one in person!
nickle15
Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 pm

According to Eddy Deegan, the rack is great, but just seems to lack a certain something that the keyboard has. It's quite subtle, but he reckons that it's noticeable.

This might be down to velocity curves/sensitivity of the keyboard you’re using, they might be available to tweak in the rack module or keyboard.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 am

Dave B wrote:It's quite subtle, but he reckons that it's noticeable.

Yes, those keyboards are very hard to spot, you have to look hard...

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby nickle15 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Well, I bought it. I would post a photo here but I haven’t read the instructions for doing so. But it’s a super clean board. All keys, sliders, buttons, knobs, etc appear to be in great shape. Touch screen is perfect. MIDI connections and audio work just fine. Thanks again for all the tips!

Now I’ve got to figure out what to do with the TR Rack. Good problem to have I guess. :)
nickle15
Poster

Postby IAA » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Been tempted by a Kronos for a long time, looks like a great all round keyboard.

Centre of my studio. Midi controller, sampler, great sounds and sequencer for when I can’t be bothered to switch everything else on!

We’re moving house at the mo (new year any way), all my other stuff is boxed up, I kept the Kronos out and just added a micro freak for some fun via the audio inserts......which I then sampled for weird sounds city. I’d forgotten how powerful the sampler was.
IAA
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:20 am

MOF wrote:

This might be down to velocity curves/sensitivity of the keyboard you’re using, they might be available to tweak in the rack module or keyboard.

That's a distinct possibility, but I can't possibly say for sure what it was. I've long since parted company with the rack version but I've owned my Trinity keyboard since the day they came out and used it heavily as my main studio board for some years. It's an absolutely incredible little synth.

By the way it has a built-in self-test and diagnostics mode. If you switch it on while holding down the ENTER + 5 buttons together then you will get a menu where you can generate test tones on all the outputs, test all the buttons on the control surface and more besides.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.