You are here

M-Audio k-station mk3 velocity curve.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

M-Audio k-station mk3 velocity curve.

Postby Acmeman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello
I’ve buy the Keyboard on the title and got some issue with the dynamic of the keys. I’ve checked velocity off the the keys with midiox and i’ve discovered that the minimum velocity read by the controller is about 35 and the maximum 90.
I’ve tried to solve the problem with a midi effect of the daw but it seems that sometime a note fall off or be too higher. The online way to have a good playability seems set in the daw a constant velocity.
What do you think about that?
Acmeman

Re: M-Audio k-station mk3 velocity curve.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Acmeman, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

The trick with massaging a keyboard's velocity response is to cater for all possible values from 0 to 127, just in case.

I use MIDIOX to massage mine, and here's the Data Mapping I use:

MIDIOX.jpg

1. My keyboard mostly outputs velocities between 0 and 96, so after some tests I ended up leaving values between 0 and 74 the same (but change the MIDI channel from 2 to 1 so I can merge this keyboard with another one).

2. Then I expanded the input range between 75 and 95 so it outputs 75 to 127. This makes the keyboard much more playable without hitting it with a large hammer ;)

3. Just in case the input velocity does ever reach 96 or above, I force all values between 96 and 127 to 127.

4. Finally, I force all other keyboard messages from MIDI channel 2 to channel 1, so now I have two keyboards (1 a tiny 25-key model, and the other an 88-key monster) combined into one MIDI stream on channel 1.

This has worked perfectly for years now 8-)

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: M-Audio k-station mk3 velocity curve.

Postby Acmeman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Acmeman, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

The trick with massaging a keyboard's velocity response is to cater for all possible values from 0 to 127, just in case.

I use MIDIOX to massage mine, and here's the Data Mapping I use:

MIDIOX.jpg

1. My keyboard mostly outputs velocities between 0 and 96, so after some tests I ended up leaving values between 0 and 74 the same (but change the MIDI channel from 2 to 1 so I can merge this keyboard with another one).

2. Then I expanded the input range between 75 and 95 so it outputs 75 to 127. This makes the keyboard much more playable without hitting it with a large hammer ;)

3. Just in case the input velocity does ever reach 96 or above, I force all values between 96 and 127 to 127.

4. Finally, I force all other keyboard messages from MIDI channel 2 to channel 1, so now I have two keyboards (1 a tiny 25-key model, and the other an 88-key monster) combined into one MIDI stream on channel 1.

This has worked perfectly for years now 8-)

Hope this helps!

Martin

Thx for the advice. Anyway i've just done i trick like the one you have suggested with the midi effect of Ableton but the results are not good.
I have attached below a test with velocitychecker and a histogram made with the data of obtained from midi-ox. As you can see the range available for the velocity modulation is really narrow. Is that thing normal?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LO8Gc ... Er1w_bnC6L

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HBpA8 ... DnJsGOzGZu
Acmeman