You are here

Help! MIDI note 'Retriggering'

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Help! MIDI note 'Retriggering'

Postby Durr GaGa » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi Folks,

Happy Christmas!

I was very lucky this Christmas to receive a Mutable Instruments Plaits module from my lovely and supportive wife and it appears to be working perfectly.

I also have an existing Mother 32, a Disting 4 with the MIDI breakout add-on panel, a MIDI keyboard, a Presonus AudioBox iTwo audio interface and Studio One 4 DAW.

If I connect my Mother 32 to the MIDI output of the AudioBox, I can play one note on the keyboard and while holding that note, press another key on my keyboard and the second note will sound and the first note will cease. I would expect this behaviour as the Mother 32 is monophonic. If I then connect the Mother 32 Gate OUT to the Plaits Gate IN and the Mother 32 KB to the Pitch CV of the Plaits, the first note of the Plaits sounds but the second note doesn't.

Secondly, if I connect the MIDI output of the AudioBox to my Disting 4, the Pitch CV from the Disting to the 1v/oct socket on the Mother 32 and the Gate CV to the Gate socket on the Mother 32, the gate remains open from the first note and the second note doesn't sound. Likewise, if I make the same connections from the Disting to the Plaits module, the same thing happens, the first note sounds but not the second and the Disting's Gate LED stays resolutely on.

Is there something obvious that I am missing here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Re: Help! MIDI note 'Retriggering'

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Durr GaGa wrote:If I connect my Mother 32 to the MIDI output of the AudioBox, I can play one note on the keyboard and while holding that note, press another key on my keyboard and the second note will sound and the first note will cease. I would expect this behaviour as the Mother 32 is monophonic. If I then connect the Mother 32 Gate OUT to the Plaits Gate IN and the Mother 32 KB to the Pitch CV of the Plaits, the first note of the Plaits sounds but the second note doesn't.

Merry Christmas :-)

What a jolly nice present to receive!

With regards to the note retriggering, I had a look at the Mother 32 manual and found this. I've not tried it on my Mother 32 but it should hopefully provide the info you need:

For future readers, in the event that the image above falls off the hosting platform over time, the proposed solution is to turn the Sustain toggle switch off in order to retrigger overlapping notes:

NOTE: When the Sustain switch is set to ON, overlapping notes from the Keyboard or MIDI notes do not retrigger the EG, allowing legato phrasing. When the Sustain switch is set to OFF, each note played on the Keyboard or MIDI note retriggers the EG.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Durr GaGa » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

What a jolly nice present to receive!

Indeed and it makes some amazing sounds - I currently have a very good approximation of an acoustic guitar running on it!

Your suggestion seems to have solved the Mother 32 aspect, thank you very much but unfortunately, not the Plaits issue. So, taking the Mother 32 out of the equation and connecting the Plaits directly to the Disting's MIDI to CV converter, I am still unable to play overlapping notes (see what I did there, I grabbed the correct term from your post!).

Any further thoughts?

Regards,

Steve
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 am

I don't know much about modular, but a bit of Googling indicates that the issue of retriggering with legato playing is something that comes up quite frequently. (Eg see this discussion on Muffwiggler.)

If you take a look at Page 57 in the Disting manual which covers MIDI/CV, I'm wondering if it's worth experimenting with Parameter 3.

Parameter 3 enables a 'fingered portamento' effect, that is, a glide from one note to the next if they are played legato. Higher parameter values give a slower glide.

I get the feeling the issue is with the way MIDI/CV is being handled rather that the Plaits module. Sounds like you might need a MIDI/CV module with trig out. (?) (Not sure if you can use the Mother 32 for this?)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd agree with the above... this looks to me to be the same issue as you were having with the Moog, only now you need to figure out how to make the Disting respect the same legato rule. I have a Disting here but as my modular is currently in pieces being re-built I can't do any proper tests.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Durr GaGa » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Thank you Eddy and BJG145 for your further input.

If you take a look at Page 57 in the Disting manual which covers MIDI/CV, I'm wondering if it's worth experimenting with Parameter 3.

Parameter 3 enables a 'fingered portamento' effect, that is, a glide from one note to the next if they are played legato. Higher parameter values give a slower glide.

I tried this but without success but thank you for the heads-up.

I have done much research today on Google and as you have discovered, this is a common issue. However, I have now found a work-around of my own which may well be far too obvious but which seems to resolve the issue. :thumbup: My rack has a Tip-Top Audio Z2040 filter module in it and this has a VCA at it's input. By patching the gate from the Mother 32 (or directly from the Disting MIDI to CV converter) to this input and running the output from the Plaits module through the filter it is now emulating what is happening on the Mother 32.

So little time, so much to learn.

Thank you both for taking the time to help, it is very much appreciated.

I hope you enjoy the rest of Christmas and I wish you a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Regards,

Steve
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:45 am

As with so many things modular there is usually a way :-)

Glad you got it sorted out, or at least worked-around for now and seasonal greetings right back at you. May 2020 prove a good year, musically and otherwise!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:35 pm

May 2020 prove a good year, musically and otherwise!

Thanks, Eddy :thumbup:
Durr GaGa
Poster

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk