You are here

Connecting Roland FA06 to Yamaha MG10XU question

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Connecting Roland FA06 to Yamaha MG10XU question

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am

Hey Guys,
I have Roland FA06 keyboard, which has main output 2 balanced cables (Left and Right).
I'm connecting them into Yamaha MG10XU which has 2 options to connect:
1) Using channels, for example 7/8 with 2 unbalanced inputs
2) Using 2 channels, for example channel 3 and 4, with 2 separate XLRs, and to achieve stereo place 3rd channel pan to left and 4th channel pan to right.

When using the 1) approach it gives background noise that can be heard very well, especially when silence is heard.
When using the 2) approach everything is Ok, but I'm not sure that it's correct to make such connection. In particularly setting place 3rd channel pan to left and 4th channel pan to right to get stereo.

Question
How to connect Roland FA06 with 2 balanced XLRs output cables to Yamaha MG10XU mixer to get professional clear stereo sound?

Please advise.

Thank you!
AMusicPlayerPlus
New here

Re: Connecting Roland FA06 to Yamaha MG10XU question

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 am

Your second option is absolutely fine, and panning the channels hard left and right is the correct thing to do in your situation.

I suspect the reason you have unwanted noise when using the unbalanced input channels is because of a 'ground-loop' between the two devices, which is a very common problem when using unbalanced connections.

There are several ways of solving it, but the easiest solution would be to purchase a line isolation transformer box. My favourite option for this situation is the ART DTI box, but there are other similar devices both from ART and many other manufacturers.

You connect the outputs of the source device to the inputs of the box, and the outputs of the box to your receiving device. The box takes care of any required conversions between balanced and unbalanced sources and destinations, and -- most importantly -- it electrically isolates the two devices from each other to break the ground-loop while still passing the audio signals (magnetically).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am

Thank you very much, My Friend!
AMusicPlayerPlus
New here

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 pm

You mentioned using XLR cables, but as the FA06 has outputs on TRS jacks, you will probably be better using TRS to TRS cables when using the combi inputs on the Yamaha mixer, so that the synth feeds into a line input, not a mic preamp.

Unfortunately the Roland manual gives no data on what the nominal output level is on those main jacks. However, it will undoubtedly be a lot nearer a standard line level signal than a mic level one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853