You are here

M-audio Oxygen vs. Novation Launchkey

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

M-audio Oxygen vs. Novation Launchkey

Postby Crystal » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi!
I'm a singer who is just starting out on music production and I'm looking for a 61-key USB MIDI keyboard controller. I narrowed down my choices to the M-audio Oxygen and the Novation Launchkey.

I will be working on a Mac, and will be using Reason for now. In the future I hope to move on to other DAWs like Pro Tools or Logic for example. I know about music theory, and can play piano basics.

Any advice on which keyboard is better/ would suit me best? Any tip would be of great help!

Many thanks,
Crystal
Crystal

Re: M-audio Oxygen vs. Novation Launchkey

Postby Crystal » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:05 am

PS: Some people argue that the Novation Launchkey 61 should only be considered if you use Ableton Live with it. Any further opinions on this?
Do you think that the M-audio Oxygen 61, for instance, would map out better on softwares like Reason, Logic, or Pro Tools?

Thanks,
Crystal
Crystal

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:21 am

I’ve had both, depends on what your priorities are, but mine is key feel, and IMO the Novation was better in this respect, clearly, also felt much better made overall.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Crystal » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Oh that’s great to know, thanks!
My main goal is to have a quality & reasonably durable keyboard controller, which is sensitive to what is being played, easy to use, and compatible with the DAW.

How did you find the software compatibility with the Novation controller? Did you use Ableton Live or something else?
Crystal