You are here

Behringer 2600

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Behringer 2600

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:33 am

Looks and sounds fabulous!

My very favourite ARP colour scheme and those colour-coded lights will make navigation so much easier than the original. Rackable and desktop - yes! And I have plenty of keyboards to drive it with - no need for another.

Useless spring reverb and speakers ditched - perfect.

Pity about the external PSU, but I'll be sorting that out in short order.

Still need to know about that price tag, though.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:42 pm

I wouldn’t be buying it specifically for the sound, the looks too, that’s what attracted me to it in the first place, it’s an inspirational thing. The original looks really mean, and slightly evil, especially in grey, it’s cool with a capital C.
This doesn’t look like a 2600, it’s a desktop module, and it looks like one. And that would affect my perception of it.
To me, so far, there are only two options, the Korg, which isn’t available, but I’d buy one tomorrow, or, an original, and I don’t need that sound so much that I’m prepared to pay ten grand for it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Adam Inglis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 am

Arpangel wrote:It's awful, sorry, but that’s it.
It’s an abomination,

Er.. are we looking at the same video?
What a fabulous sound!

Of course, I've never been within coo-ee of a real one, so it's a completely uneducated judgement, but that left me impressed.

Of the smorgasbord of modern analogue synths on offer these days, that one is a serious temptation...
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:29 am

Adam Inglis wrote:
Arpangel wrote:It's awful, sorry, but that’s it.
It’s an abomination,

Er.. are we looking at the same video?
What a fabulous sound!

Of course, I've never been within coo-ee of a real one, so it's a completely uneducated judgement, but that left me impressed.

Of the smorgasbord of modern analogue synths on offer these days, that one is a serious temptation...

It probably does sound very good, but for me, that’s not the focus, I’ve always wanted a genuine 2600 ust to look at, sure I’d play it, but there’s something about that design, and unless it’s there, like the Korg, it’s not attractive to me, it’s a bit like going out and buying an iconic 70’s chair or a decorative light, or glassware, I love all of that stuff, and the 2600 is the same thing for me.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Just as a keen synthesizer nerd, I'd be absolutely gutted if SOS didn't do the full-on Gordon review! I'm never ever going to buy one of these beasts, so I don't give a monkey's whether the first run has sold out or not... but I want to know all there is to know about it regardless.

...And I thoroughly enjoyed reading about it in luxurious detail... And I learned some stuff about the 2600 I didn't previously know too. :angel:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 pm

A fascinating review, and brought back some memories for me. The revision history is fascinating.

We had a grey 2600 in the studio back in the 80s, but it was a machine that none of us really got to grips with back then. Eventually it was sold by its owner and was never missed or mentioned from that point forward.

Now I'd be flying all around it, but back then it just seemed a load of hassle compared to a MiniMoog or a Pro-One, and I really couldn't be bothered to learn how the thing worked. Nothing seemed to function the way I expected, the patch sockets were almost always needing replacing, and it took up too much space. Having since become the owner of an Odyssey, I can see the Oddy as a '2600-lite' and I 'get' the ARP way of doing things - though it still feels odd in places, such as not selecting waveforms in the oscillator section. Having to add a patch cable just to get a sawtooth from a 2600's Oscillator 1 still seems plain dumb to my way of thinking - and don't get me started on those tuning sliders! :headbang:

I'm really glad Korg have produced this machine. It's a beauty. We need these things in the world. But for me the Behringer remains a more practical design, better aesthetics, improved interface and ditches the elements I would find of no value, specifically the spring reverb and speakers. Regardless of price it's the one I would choose to own.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous